Changing tyres early

Ekona

Well, I say early, but what I really mean is before you hit the 1.6mm legal limit. I'd not seen the following video before until today, where it was posted on PH following a question from a Boxster owner as to why his car was a bit tail happy with his tyres sitting at said legal limit...

:scare:

Illustrates perfectly just how much extra grip you can lose under braking whilst still having legal tyres. I changed my rears today as they were just under an average of 3mm across the width of the tyre, and already I've noticed more grip and more feel despite them still having the release agent on. I've had a few 'moments' in the last few weeks with the back end getting increasingly mobile under power, culminating in a four wheel drift across multiple lanes when entering a dual carriageway from a roundabout, which was interesting to say the least.

Perhaps worth considering changing tyres a bit earlier than you normally would? Is it worth saving a hundred quid or so when you can see the difference in grip levels very plainly illustrated? And don't even get me started on how those differences would be compared between a 452 with 1.6mm and a MPSS with brand new tread...! ;):lol: