Changing the brake pads on a 350

philw99

Just a question for everyone.... is changing the pads on a 350 as easy as it looks on youtube?

e.g. remove the two pins push back the caliper (with the top off the fluid bottle) then slot the new ones in?

also going to get some high temp grease to go on the back of the pads.. not sure what to get yet

If replacing with dead pads you would probably have to "wind" your pistons in the calliper back a bit in order for them to fit in, id imagine its a case of popping off the fluid tank cap and literally pushing them back with your hands. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will be along with the correct method. But in the past i havent had any issues with pads on any cars being a pain in the arse to do.

It's easier to use the right tool for the job. I use this for retracting the pistons in the caliper.

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=518&item=5319

20ish quid and will make sure that the pistons are retracted square and makes the job really easy. Doing it by other means, i.e. by hand, could cause you to jamb the pistons or score them or the bores.

When retracting the pistons, check that the fluid reservoir does not overflow. You may need to remove some to prevent this. Use a syringe for this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_757521_langId_-1_categoryId_241551

Don't over do the copper ease and make sure you don't get any on the braking surfaces of the pad or the disc.

Jim

Ive changed dozens of brake pads on different cars and the brembos on the zed were really the easiest. It is literally as easy as the youtube video. Not much to go wrong.

The one thing i did do, was to pop the anti squeel shims off the back of the old pads and use them on the new ones. Thats about it really.

Pads done :) well easy just abit cold

Well happy the 350 is back on the road, old pads were well worn at the back. Woops

No more scraping noise, disk look fine might get them replaced next.

Went for some portfield race pads from garage whifbits will let you know what they are like.