Nurrish Sat Nav

Dear Forum,

I have done some research and Nurrish is out and Cookie stopped building these things.

Know I am looking at a Viewsonic 7" tablet with GPS that I want to use and build in my cubby.

However I am not sure if this will fit and or that the buttons on the right side will disapear behind the frame of the cubby.

Should not be a problem if all features can be accessed by the touch screen.

Does anybody has experience with the Viewsonic, Is the FM frequence to get the music to my Pioneer, but perhaps this can go through the stereo plug.

Any other suggestions what I can use are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Peter

If the screen is a 7" one you wont have access to the button... you will also need to take off the outer casing to get it to fit nice and snug :thumbs:

What Pioneer do you have, you should have an aux in hopefully

I do have a Pioneer AVH3200BT, I assume this as a aux in, not yet checked. Need to check the specs on internet.

That's why I am looking for a tablet where you don't need the acces button to startup, but can also touch the screen.

Thanks,

Peter

If you have a Pioneer unit that has Bluetooth, ipod, dvd etc what do you want the tablet for?

Mine doesn't have navigation but I have a build in nissan sat nav Xanavi 5.1. However this has not updated what so ever.

That's why I want to replace this for a tablet, more features and still a satnav with a touchscreen in the cubby.

I can also go for the add on of the Pioneer, however they are expensive and still have my old nav in the cubby.

Also like the position of th cubby better for a satnav.

So that my reason why I want to build a tablet in my cubby where my old sat nav is.

Peter

If you have a Pioneer unit that has Bluetooth, ipod, dvd etc what do you want the tablet for?

Mine doesn't have navigation but I have a build in nissan sat nav Xanavi 5.1. However this has not updated what so ever.

That's why I want to replace this for a tablet, more features and still a satnav with a touchscreen in the cubby.

I can also go for the add on of the Pioneer, however they are expensive and still have my old nav in the cubby.

Also like the position of th cubby better for a satnav.

So that my reason why I want to build a tablet in my cubby where my old sat nav is.

Peter

I've got the old Xanavi 5.1 Sat Nav unit as well ... I'd be interested to know how you get on with this project as it's something that I've been thinking about for some time now ...

:thumbs:

That looks really good!

Which 7" lcd unit did you buy?

Was it difficult to wire up & install the unit into the cubby?

Did you have to add a switch somewhere to power on/off the unit ?

Its a Navman Panoramic satnav as thats all i wanted / needed

It was tricky as not done that kind of thing before but not too bad.

Yeah the unit turns on with the ignition but i had to fit a little button to turn it off otherwise the internal battery ran down...

More info here - http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=54590

And here - http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55737

Although the cubby is not motorised at the moment as when i changed the HU i pulled the power cables off the motor and i need s new soldering iron, so i took it off.... It will go back some rainy day though :thumbs:

Dave,

How does the sound work for your Navigation?

Does it go thorugh your headunit or via the unit's speaker?

I've been looking at some 7" touchscreen units on ebay ... The one Nurrish uses is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320792655781?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm considering getting one and having a go myself .. not too sure how I would extend the power button and hard wire it though :blink:

Dear Forum,

I have done some research and Nurrish is out and Cookie stopped building these things.

Know I am looking at a Viewsonic 7" tablet with GPS that I want to use and build in my cubby.

However I am not sure if this will fit and or that the buttons on the right side will disapear behind the frame of the cubby.

Should not be a problem if all features can be accessed by the touch screen.

Does anybody has experience with the Viewsonic, Is the FM frequence to get the music to my Pioneer, but perhaps this can go through the stereo plug.

Any other suggestions what I can use are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Peter

By the way I've been reading up on these too .... you need a Wifi or 3G connection in order to use the GPS functionality:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/vpad7.htm

**GPS function requires a WiFi or 3G data signal

Just thought I'd mention it incase you weren't aware ..

:thumbs:

I could have worked the sond into my HU but to be honest I dont like the automuting my music all the time :thumbdown:

So i fitted a small speaker near the heater control unit, its plenty loud enough.

I would suggest wiring the sound to the HU fm links are not great quality wise....

If you just want a nav then go for it, hardest bit is wiring the buttons to be honest.

As for needing wifi or gps i was under the same illusion and cookbot even told me as much, I couldnt find an android tablet that had built in gps that didnt require a 3g connection :shrug:

The screens on those cheap gps ebay jobs are pretty pants, the screen on the navman is actually better than the one on my £400 hu....

How did you connect the speaker up to your nav unit?

Was it a case of soldering it on to the board?

When you hard wired the unit to your cigarette lighter ... did you have to dismantle the car charger provided and just connect the wires up behind the socket?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions .. it's just that I'm really wanting to have a go at it now after reading this thread ...

Also I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to electrics :bangin:

How did you connect the speaker up to your nav unit?

Was it a case of soldering it on to the board?

When you hard wired the unit to your cigarette lighter ... did you have to dismantle the car charger provided and just connect the wires up behind the socket?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions .. it's just that I'm really wanting to have a go at it now after reading this thread ...

Also I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to electrics :bangin:

Its ok :thumbs:

There was a little speaker connected to the board, i just cut the speaker off and wired up a bigger one

For hard wiring you can get a cigarette lighter socket and wire it behind the existing one as an extra then plug what you want into it :thumbs:

1.0x0.jpg

Thanks for the reply ..

That helps a lot .. I would probably have cut the car charger and tried to wire that up to the existing socket .. LoL

I think I'd probably go for a larger speaker too compared to trying to wire it to the HU.

I think the only thing I'm not really sure about now is relocating the button ... i assume that involves getting a new switch and extending the existing wiring?

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply ..

That helps a lot .. I would probably have cut the car charger and tried to wire that up to the existing socket .. LoL

I think I'd probably go for a larger speaker too compared to trying to wire it to the HU.

I think the only thing I'm not really sure about now is relocating the button ... i assume that involves getting a new switch and extending the existing wiring?

Thanks again

Yeah it does, again nothing too difficult really

Im going to a meet tomorrow so will be giving the car a once over, I will take a couple of pics of the button and the cigarette lighter adapter if you like :thumbs:

Yeah that would be brilliant if you could ...

I think I'm going to take the plunge and start looking for a cheap unit ...

Thanks again for your help!

;)

No worries at all fella, I have put some pics on this thread rather than confuse this one :wacko:

The pics are looking up under the passenger footwell, connected behind the existing cigarette lighter, just pull away the protective plastic and you will see the positive and negative wires :thumbs:

Any questions just drop me a PM :thumbs:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=55737&p=809285#p809285