Possible backfiring?...

MK-Ultra

Hi people, as the title suggest i think my Zed is backfiring. I first noticed it earlier this week but just thought it was fireworks!! But as i was out driving earlier this evening i noticed it as i had my windows down. Its only happened a few times that i've heard. There doesnt seem to be a pattern to it, i was crusing along at about 35pmh in 4th on throttle, then again when i was at about 40mph in 6th. What made me realise it was defiantly my car was when i pulled up in a petrol ststion and it done it when i was at idle at the pump.

It isnt misfiring and i havnt noticed any performance problems nor any other issues. My car is standard engine wise and has done 33k.

It a bit of backfiring normal on a standard exhaust and if not is there any way to diagnose it?

Many thanks, Lionel.

doenst sound like a problem if the car is driving fine, probably just a bit of unburnt fuel entering your exhaust system.

your description isnt the best though! but like i said as long as its not missing and performance is still good then its all good :)

Thanks for the replys,

It just seems too be a random bangs, i left my car running for a little bit this morning on my drive to see if i could hear/see it but no joy. I can't hear any clacking sounds, but i don't have a OBD reader so i cant pull up any fault codes, i will have to order one on monday.

Although my cars only done 33k it is over 4 years old, so might have a look at the spark plugs.

Is there a guide on here on how to check the coil? or is it a job that a garage might have to do?

Thanks again for your replys. Lionel.

if its not misfiring why are you checking the plugs or the coils?

however if you do want to check the coils there is a simple check you can do without taking it to a garage, however this will only work if you have a fault code stored for a misfire. if you read the fault memory and it says for example:

misfire cylinder 1

clear the fault memory then swap the coil from cylinder 1 with the coil from cylinder 2, take the car for a drive, get it to misfire and then re-read the fault memory.

if the coil was at fault for the miss, then the fault code should read:

misfire cylinder 2

or something very similar. that if its even missing in the first place. if the fault stays on the same cylinder then you know its the plug or injector at fault for the miss. or at least a fault that is only related to that cylinder in some way!