Car Misfiring?

Clarkie

I'd just finished fitting Cookbot's autofold mod, and accidentally ground it against the door. Wee spark and the fuse blew. So headed off to Halfords to grab a new fuse. On the way there sitting at the lights the car started shaking, fairly noticeably and the idle dropped a few hundred rpm. Also the exhaust note sounded a lot different, I was just round the corner so drove slowly to the car park. Left the car idling and it was sounding rough. Blipped the throttle and you could hear it popping, no bangs, just loud pops. So i switched off the car, had a good look under the hood to see if there were any loose hoses etc, let it sit for a wee while and started her up. Everything was fine. So fixed the fuse and headed home. When i got back sat idling for a while so i could read the OBD2 and see if there were any errors stored (there wasn't) and again it started sounding a bit unhealthy, but nowhere near as bad as before.

It's just ticked 40,000 miles and i've done about 400 miles in the past few days. It's also due its P3 service fairly soon so the spark plugs will be done then.

So what do you guys think? Spark plugs, or something more sinister? Should i get her booked in for her service ASAP or see if it happens again?

I'm doubting earthing cookbot's module caused it, but to be sure i've now covered it so earthing can not happen again.

:shrug:

could be a coil breaking down, or an air leak in the intake system, when you are idling can you hear any hissing from the engine bay as if a split hose were sucking extra air in? this would cause it to run rough, or hunt at idle as the engine will be runnin too lean.

but as you say could well be a spark plug fecked, wouldnt worry about your shorting to ground on the mirrors, highly unlikely anything will be to do with that.

I'd just finished fitting Cookbot's autofold mod, and accidentally ground it against the door. Wee spark and the fuse blew. So headed off to Halfords to grab a new fuse. On the way there sitting at the lights the car started shaking, fairly noticeably and the idle dropped a few hundred rpm. Also the exhaust note sounded a lot different, I was just round the corner so drove slowly to the car park. Left the car idling and it was sounding rough. Blipped the throttle and you could hear it popping, no bangs, just loud pops. So i switched off the car, had a good look under the hood to see if there were any loose hoses etc, let it sit for a wee while and started her up. Everything was fine. So fixed the fuse and headed home. When i got back sat idling for a while so i could read the OBD2 and see if there were any errors stored (there wasn't) and again it started sounding a bit unhealthy, but nowhere near as bad as before.

It's just ticked 40,000 miles and i've done about 400 miles in the past few days. It's also due its P3 service fairly soon so the spark plugs will be done then.

So what do you guys think? Spark plugs, or something more sinister? Should i get her booked in for her service ASAP or see if it happens again?

I'm doubting earthing cookbot's module caused it, but to be sure i've now covered it so earthing can not happen again.

:shrug:

Id say get a video up. I think the coils can get a voltage spike and thats what kills them. I was driving home one day with my music on. Came to the traffic lights and it started shaking and missfiring. It was only doing it when it was warm though. I think when I was listening to dubstep killed it. That particular song makes my voltage gauge dance :lol:

Id say get a video up. I think the coils can get a voltage spike and thats what kills them. I was driving home one day with my music on. Came to the traffic lights and it started shaking and missfiring. It was only doing it when it was warm though. I think when I was listening to dubstep killed it. That particular song makes my voltage gauge dance :lol:

That sounds farked! Never heard of ICE causing cars to behave like that :surrender::headhurt:

coil pack

I was wondering if it could be that too... Is there a way to check to find out?

It's been running fine today, heading out in a bit so shall see how it is.

easy way to check, remove all the coils and place the end near a screwdriver or a spanner, something that will attract the spark and make it easily visible, then get someone to crank it over whilst you watch for the sparks, the coil that doesnt spark will be knackered!

did you do a quick check of the intake for air leaks? if its runnin ok atm, check all the hoses are tight and fitted correctly.

That sounds farked! Never heard of ICE causing cars to behave like that :surrender::headhurt:

You havent seen 2kwrms of power :teeth:

If you think about it when idling your altinator isnt producing much power so when the bass hits it will go abit loopy. My old car used to dim the clocks too :lol::lol: