Screw sizes

coldel

Maybe a daft question, but, the 12mm bolts in the engine bay - what M number are they? As far as I know the M number is the diameter of the bolt thread? I had a quick look and measured and it looks about 8mm, making them an M8, can anyone confirm?

If it measures 8mm it will be an M8 thread,BUT you can get different thread pitches.Best to compare with a standard M8 bolt.In my exsperience some car manufacturers use non standard threads just to confuse people who like to work on there cars and not take them to a franchised garages.

The one's with the 14mm nuts are 10M x 1.25(checked with a thread guage). I know as i damaged the start of the thread on one holding the strutbrace when removing it to gain access to get to the spark plugs just about a week ago. I couldn't get a die that size at work but luckily one of the turners had a thred file the correct size so tidyed it up with that. So an educated guess would say M8 x 1.25. Hopefully someone can confirm this. The x 1.25 at the end is the thread pitch