Cracking Sound from Exhaust

geoff-r

Just after a response to my concern of is this normal or not? Last night I took my car for a little spin, nothing over the top at all, all below 70mph. I saw a mate at the traffic lights and pulled alongside, as we waited for the lights to change we had a quick chat and it became apparent my car was making what I can only describe as cracking noises (the noises you get when a car is cooling down after a heavy drive). I gave the throttle a little blip and the noise died down a little but on tick over it remained there. My mate said the noise didn't sound normal on a car when idling, he's a vehicle technician so I would rate his opinion.

I've always thought the exhaust system cracked a lot on my 370 as I can literally go for a 5 minute drive, nothing above 40mph, pull up on the drive turn off the car and the exhaust system cracks like mad. I can do exactly the same in my A3 and it won't make a sound.

So I really want to know, is this cracking sound normal on tick over and is my exhaust system cracking excessive when I turn the car off after a short drive?

Mine does tend to ping quite a lot too. Cant say I've noticed it when idling, but then I dont often stop at home and get out the car without turning it off. I have noticed it in the past that it doesnt take long for the car to warm up and when its warm the exhaust would ping. Now I have the Stillen I guess it will do it less which is why I dont notice it.