Bit of play in the gearbox

coldel

Morning people,

Just back from my drive to Bruges and back, all very good, have to say the Zed was utterly awesome - the throttle controller worked a dream sat in eco3 mode - cost about 60 euros in petrol to drive from windsor to bruges and back. The Zed though just munched up the miles.

Only thing that is bothering me still is the gearbox, there appears to be a little bit of play in it. So when I change gear it clunks a bit, if I change gear carefully i negotiate the clunk but its getting really annoying.

Is there an easy solution to this? Is it a case of replacement of the internal gearing, or a complete new gearbox?

I think I have the same issue as you, its more like a 'click' noise when going into gear as if its touching an internal part. Sometimes I can avoid it depending on how I change the gear and sometimes its unavoidable - yes it can be very irritating! People I've spoken to have said its normal, I'm sure Nissan wouldn't build a car with a gearbox like that?

I was thinking it was more of a syncro issue?

What's the costs related to having this sorted, I would probably look into getting this sorted myself...

Might be the same, not sure, I put mine into gear fine but if I take the clutch to biting point and dip it in and out slightly I get a clunk noise and the gear stick is not tight in gear either. Hard to explain! It just feels like the cogs in the gearbox are not tight together and in fact there is some play or space in them which lets them move about?

Might be the same, not sure, I put mine into gear fine but if I take the clutch to biting point and dip it in and out slightly I get a clunk noise and the gear stick is not tight in gear either. Hard to explain! It just feels like the cogs in the gearbox are not tight together and in fact there is some play or space in them which lets them move about?

The clunk noise you're referring to is normal isn't it? I'm sure that's part of the 'characteristic' of the Zed...

Mine clunks when going in and out of biting point also. That's just down to the Zed's noisy transmission. I'm sure Someone will be along shortly to confirm ;)

The interesting thing is when I had the old clutch in, where the plates had been worn, I didn't notice the clunk or movement in the gearbox - it was only when the new one went in that it became apparent...

...just awaiting the ZAlex to come along and I am sure all will be clear :lol:;)

the throttle controller worked a dream sat in eco3 mode - cost about 60 euros in petrol to drive from windsor to bruges and back. The Zed though just munched up the miles.

You did ~400 miles on €60 (£53) petrol?!!! what is is magical throttle controller you talk of and where can I get one??

Did you use cruise control?

OK might have been a slightly optimistic claim :lol: it wasnt a lot more though, I drove from Windsor to Bruges and about 20 miles out of Bruges put 40 Euros in which took the tank back to where I started and I was about 3/5ths of the way through the journey.

Yes plenty of cruise control and using EC3 when not in cruise, which wasnt often as the journey is M25, M26, M20 then E40 direct to Bruges, very little town driving. Dunkirk to Bruges is only something like 45 miles max nearly all motorway miles.

OK might have been a slightly optimistic claim :lol: it wasnt a lot more though, I drove from Windsor to Bruges and about 20 miles out of Bruges put 40 Euros in which took the tank back to where I started and I was about 3/5ths of the way through the journey.

Yes plenty of cruise control and using EC3 when not in cruise, which wasnt often as the journey is M25, M26, M20 then E40 direct to Bruges, very little town driving. Dunkirk to Bruges is only something like 45 miles max nearly all motorway miles.

Ah OK crossing to dunkerque I think its a 300 mile round trip and sounds like you used about £90 quids worth in total :) for a minute there I though there was some kind of miracle ....