Grom USB MP3 Integration kit

Smak

Good spot, would be interested in one of these if it does.

I think if it uses the same connection as the pa11-nis Ipod device then unfortunately it won't work, as only the USA Bose head units have the required port.

Would be good to know which particular "vehicle specific" lead is included with it, then we could see if it was suitable.

I've sent them a email but after a little more research I think you are correct about the missing CD changer socket, grrrrrrr :rant:

Don't fancy the idea of the ipod hack but wanted to keep things oem, why is this so difficult meh!

I have one, you do need the extra port which isn't on the UK models. I have a JDM '03 Bose, which has the right socket but I never got it to work properly. The radio would only very occasionally connect to it. GROM Audio were pretty helpful and sent me quite a few firmware updates but they never got it working properly - it does seem harder than it should be to do this!

I have one, you do need the extra port which isn't on the UK models. I have a JDM '03 Bose, which has the right socket but I never got it to work properly. The radio would only very occasionally connect to it. GROM Audio were pretty helpful and sent me quite a few firmware updates but they never got it working properly - it does seem harder than it should be to do this!

I see, so what have you done or still no solution? Not keen on new HU, I think they all look tacky with all this gloss black @*!# that everyone uses these days.

I see, so what have you done or still no solution? Not keen on new HU, I think they all look tacky with all this gloss black @*!# that everyone uses these days.

Yeah, I'm pretty stuck at the moment. I also wanted to keep the OEM look and wasn't keen on the tape hack... but it does seem to be the easiest/simplest solution. I think it's either that or an FM transmitter I'm afraid :(

FM Transmitters I have found to be pretty bad. I have one of these in the Z, works a treat, just keep the iPod volume to about 50-60% and it works fine. Also have a little dock which attaches to the air vent, looks very neat and tidy.

Cassette to iPod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-CPA9-AE-Car-cassette-adaptor/dp/B00007EDLW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Clip for the air vent, it sits very neatly to the left of the steering wheel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buybits-REMOVABLE-SWIVEL-MOUNT-iPHONE/dp/B002B1XWLK/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313393964&sr=1-10

The audiophile in me won't be able to cope with the sq from doing either aux in hack...

The "tape deck hack" sounds fantastic and far better than any transmitter or cassette adapter. It simply taps into the output of the tape unit and pumps the signal straight into the amp.

Tweak the EQ on your source (MP3 player, phone) and it can sound better than the CD player. Search the many threads about it and you'll find universal praise for the sound :)

I didn't realise the dacs were that bad on the standard unit, it would explain the rather lacking sound though. Sound quality with the mod will still be considerable less than a new HU and with the lack of control I think I'm going to hold fire for a bit and see what new units appear on the market, hopefully we will start seeing a flood of Android based units with decent styling.

I agree with you on the FM transmitter - haven't tried the tape hack yet but may do it soon, I guess it's worth a try at least to see what it sounds like.... what I'm looking at doing is fitting either a Windows or Android-based system into the cubby space and running audio out of that and into the Bose system somehow. My other thought was I wondered if it was possible to tap directly into the Bose amp, which I believe is somewhere in the boot.

It would mean I'd have two volume controls though, but at least the sound quality would be as good as possible with the standard Bose speakers/amp and whatever my source is - I haven't read anywhere of anyone trying it though, so I don't know if it's really possible. I'll find out soon enough :)

BTW, just for reference, I did find this a while ago, which shows a pretty complex solution:

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9595-350Z-Install

Page two shows how he got the aux-in and steering wheel controls working (note he had a JDM 350Z). The stereo is basically wired into the car's internal network, so communication needs to be established via some sort of networking protocol. I'd be interested in doing this, but I can't get hold of the guy that posted it.

Would love to see some android-based HUs on the market, would certainly open up a lot of customisation options.

I agree with you on the FM transmitter - haven't tried the tape hack yet but may do it soon, I guess it's worth a try at least to see what it sounds like.... what I'm looking at doing is fitting either a Windows or Android-based system into the cubby space and running audio out of that and into the Bose system somehow. My other thought was I wondered if it was possible to tap directly into the Bose amp, which I believe is somewhere in the boot.

-- now I'm confusing myself - the amp is behind the driver's seat. Been reading too much stuff on this, it's all getting mixed up in my head! :wacko: