turbo or supercharger?

c2dvb

There are loads of supers and turbos out there already. Supers are cheaper and I think more robust, but produce less power - around 360-370hp afaik - generally the Vortech kit.

Turbos - generally the APS twin turbo afaik, produces around 440 - 460 hp.

Prescience is our local expert on FI - I think he's in the middle of an install - and i'm sure he'll be on shortly ;)

Check out this thread too

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458&highlight=

Guest prescience
There are loads of supers and turbos out there already. Supers are cheaper and I think more robust, but produce less power - around 360-370hp afaik - generally the Vortech kit.

Turbos - generally the APS twin turbo afaik, produces around 440 - 460 hp.

Prescience is our local expert on FI - I think he's in the middle of an install - and i'm sure he'll be on shortly ;)

Check out this thread too

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458&highlight=

My install (S/C) was done some time ago.

You might like to ask Stephen G about power though - his S/C rolling roaded highest power at the Sumo Power day against a TT

Plus the numbers above are wheel HP for S/C and crank HP for the TT; so not like-for-like- so take into account the 17% difference and you'll see the answer is closer.

But HP is work and torque is force in a nutshell so you can all but forget power except for bragging rights, it is torque that counts.

A TT will deliver more torque than an S/C period (certainly true for out-the-box, although tuning can close that gap substantially) and hence more acceleration in mid-range but ....

TT is about twice as expensive (you'll need new wheels, hi flow exhaust, test pipes to achieve the numbers above and the stock clutch can't hold the torque), and also once on the car it is much more difficult to return to stock (eg to sell) but S/C can be returned to stock in a matter of 3-4 hours.

You pays your money and takes your choice as with all things.

See you got terse response so far to asking this question on my350z - don't worry they always do that :)

ps Eagle-eyed watchers might note that I have refrained from saying that a TT is more likely to damage your stock motor - I no longer believe that to be the case with out-the-box type installations and a good tune.

What he said, basically.

Driving style comes into it - if you want your power on tap at all times then a Twin Turbo setup gives you that, but it has the disadvantage of being slightly more jittery, more fuel hungry, and putting a greater load on the engine at most times. The Supercharger doesn't really have the power until you start creeping over 2000 revs, and then only really noticably over 3000 revs, which means it's not immediately available unless you drive in the permanent high rev bands, but then will be less stressful on the engine and better on fuel when driving normally.

That's why I like the SC - you choose how it effects your car on the basis of how you choose to drive.

What he said, basically.

Driving style comes into it - if you want your power on tap at all times then a Twin Turbo setup gives you that, but it has the disadvantage of being slightly more jittery, more fuel hungry, and putting a greater load on the engine at most times. The Supercharger doesn't really have the power until you start creeping over 2000 revs, and then only really noticably over 3000 revs, which means it's not immediately available unless you drive in the permanent high rev bands, but then will be less stressful on the engine and better on fuel when driving normally.

That's why I like the SC - you choose how it effects your car on the basis of how you choose to drive.

How does the TT kit make the car jittery??? my car runs as smooth as silk with the APS kit on it. You can drive the car off boost, so you can choose how turbo's affect your driving. If you dont put your foot down, you dont boost.

How does the TT kit make the car jittery??? my car runs as smooth as silk with the APS kit on it. You can drive the car off boost, so you can choose how turbo's affect your driving. If you dont put your foot down, you dont boost.

I did say *slightly* more jittery!!! Again, this is down to driving style (aka in my case, ability!). I'm not particularly light footed - I'm very much pedal down and let the car catch up. The Twin Turbo will light up the rears with the slightest blip, and even though this happens with the Supercharger, if you keep to the lower revs the behaviour is much more similar to stock.

For those of you with the touch of Jenson Button it won't be an issue, but it would to me. Again, personal preference.

I'm gathering by the fact that you didn't pick any holes in the rest of what I said that you agree? ;)

No, I started looking round the old board just as it closed, just as a guest. Dont usually sign up for these forums, but liked the look of this one.

I got my APS install done late last year. Love it!

what power & torque are you making bud. do you drive with the esp on all of the time, or turn it off when conditions are good. are you still on the standard clutch any signs of slip.......

I did say *slightly* more jittery!!! Again, this is down to driving style (aka in my case, ability!). I'm not particularly light footed - I'm very much pedal down and let the car catch up. The Twin Turbo will light up the rears with the slightest blip, and even though this happens with the Supercharger, if you keep to the lower revs the behaviour is much more similar to stock.

For those of you with the touch of Jenson Button it won't be an issue, but it would to me. Again, personal preference.

I'm gathering by the fact that you didn't pick any holes in the rest of what I said that you agree? ;)

Thought I'd jump in with my first post, nevermind all the hello's and introduction bollox! ;)

The TT kit doesnt make the car in the slightest bit jittery, and it doesnt light the tyres up with the slightest blip. The car is as docile as you want it to be, only goes quick when you push your foot down!

The turbos spool up very quickly and at low rpm, but only if you give the engine full load. I really dont understand all this talk of turbo's being less robust and apparently harder to drive, than the supercharger.

The torque curve with the TT kit is almost identical in shape to standard, where the Vortech changes it completely.

Right enough, you can get the tyres to spin in 3rd in the wet if you so desire, but only by choice!

Think I saw your car when I was last down for a tune, Freetoride. They were mid install, and it ties in with when i was down at Gforce last.

I did say this was down to my driving style. To reiterate, I put my foot down and the car catches up with me. With all that torque on tap with a TT it would behave differently *with my driving style* - but as baptist says, it's down to how you drive it. I'm not particularly precise a driver, to be honest, but I hear nothing but positives about the twin turbo setups out there.

The real deciding factor is cost and what you intend to do with the car when you finish with it.