Thinking of changing to a single din

Keviswatt

Hi all

I am now utterly fed up of the Bose head unit and need it gone, i have a single din Sony unit that i would like to fit and need some advice on the best facia plate to match the dash, found a few on ebay and this one which seems to talk the talk...any ideas?

http://www.incar-emporium.com/product_i ... ts_id=3597

Also, can anyone show me a pic with a single din fitted in their car?

Oh, aslo were is the amp situated and does it have any controls on it?

Apriciate any feedback .....thanks

Kev

This was my Alpine 9886R fitted using the sexton fascia(2006+, which is for sale)

P1000283.jpg

The bose amp for the speakers is in the boot under the carpet and foam and theres another next to the sub, they dont have any controls. I take it you have the GT spec Bose system?

Thanks for the reply .

Yeah its an 04 GT with Bose, and its the only part of the car i dont like, made worse by having to play te mp3 player through the tap deck!

Looks a tidy fit, would it work in an 04, if so how much sir?

K

Yeah its an 04 GT with Bose, and its the only part of the car i dont like, made worse by having to play te mp3 player through the tap deck!

K

You can use a radio transmitter to get the sound from your MP3 player to your Bose (or any other) head unit. Quality isn't perfect but is probably better than a tape adaptor.

The FM transmitter function is one of the reasons I bought a Nokia N9 phone, works so well and I have oodles of music at my fingertips. I'm not naughty though, don't play with the phone while I'm driving, I use a screen sucker mount and can swipe through my music catalogue.

K

You can use a radio transmitter to get the sound from your MP3 player to your Bose (or any other) head unit. Quality isn't perfect but is probably better than a tape adaptor.

The FM transmitter function is one of the reasons I bought a Nokia N9 phone, works so well and I have oodles of music at my fingertips. I'm not naughty though, don't play with the phone while I'm driving, I use a screen sucker mount and can swipe through my music catalogue.

I tried a belkin transmitter a couple years ago an was unimpressed, i dare say things have moved on a bit though.Did wonder about trying another but were in a Z do you put it? or are you using a cradle transmitter?

cheers

Anything other than a direct connection using the soldered Bose hack or a brand new head unit for an MP3 player sounds utterly appalling. Yes, the FM is better than the tape adaptor, but only in the way it'd be better to have herpes rather than syphilis. ;)

Anything other than a direct connection using the soldered Bose hack or a brand new head unit for an MP3 player sounds utterly appalling. Yes, the FM is better than the tape adaptor, but only in the way it'd be better to have herpes rather than syphilis. ;)

:thumbs:

Thanks for the reply .

Looks a tidy fit, would it work in an 04, if so how much sir?

K

Sorry the pre 2006 cars require a different fascia.

I use a Tecknet FM transmitter from wilco's for about £14 - decent enough till i can justify spending the cash on a new unit...

Biggest plus over the tape adapter is that you can wedge your ipod in the tape hole - Bonus!! :thumbs:

Anyone else interested in this modification - i can upload some pictures!!

K

I tried a belkin transmitter a couple years ago an was unimpressed, i dare say things have moved on a bit though.Did wonder about trying another but were in a Z do you put it? or are you using a cradle transmitter?

cheers

I'm using a screen sucker mount made specifically for my Nokia N9. It sits to the extreme right of the dash and fits in nicely. I don't need to move my eyes far from the road or my hand more than a couple of centimetres from the steering wheel. I guess you could do similar using a universal mount which would accommodate any MP3 player.

I'm not going to argue with you there Ekona! For me the Nokia/FM transmitter setup provides excellent functionality and I'm willing to sacrifice some of the quality for that. My hearing isn't that great anyway after too many concerts and raves (back in the day that is!)

I use a Tecknet FM transmitter from wilco's for about £14 - decent enough till i can justify spending the cash on a new unit...

Biggest plus over the tape adapter is that you can wedge your ipod in the tape hole - Bonus!! :thumbs:

Anyone else interested in this modification - i can upload some pictures!!

Cheers

I am fed up of the crap sound quality and have a decent head unit removed from our other car so its the only way forward for me ......

K