Our war BBC 3

Wow , what can I say !!! It's absolutely amazing a complete emotional roller coaster , if you watch it even for a few minute it humbles you as to see what these people put them selfs through and are force to go through to keep this country safe .

They have my full respect

Rip to the fallen Hero's and the lads still out there fighting

Its a tough call this, there are no 'good guys' like you see in the films as at the end of the day people be them US Marines, SAS or Field Medics are just people and fallable to all the same emotions and wrong doings as anyone else. A soldier shown beating a civillian is always shown in isolation, what they don't show that same soldiers best friend have his legs blown off by another civillian concealing a weapon probably that same day, not that I am giving any excuses but people are just people - I have had a few friends go to Afghanistan as well as two of my cousins who were in Northern Ireland in the 80s and 90s. The real stories you hear from the horses mouth never tie in with either the politicians BBC News comments, nor the type of stuff on the link above, it is all selective to suit their agenda.

I guess from a 'should we go to war' point of view, there is unfortunately a general misguided concensus from the first 'Gulf' war which was oil based that everytime the west intervenes in any country that is an oil supplier that its all because of the oil. Libya for instance supplies something like 1% of the wests oil, does that make their intervention there oil based, I don't think so. Iraq was shady because of the arms issue, there were other political reasons as well as I am sure some humanitarian reasons for that war. Again it was more than just about the oil.

I think though the initial post was pointing to the fact that its a people thing, some soldiers go off the scale, it gets too much for them and thats really unfortunate but they are the minority. The majority are utterly incredible. Speaking with my cousin years ago about Northern Ireland it was terrifying, yet he was just my cousin, some bloke from Dagenham with a few o'levels who somehow got through being the target of bombs and snipers for something like the best part of 5 years over there.