CD Changer issues and an annoying knocking sound!

Chuck21

Hi all,

A couple of hopefully minor issues that I'm hoping you can advise on.

Was out on Saturday and loaded up the CD changer as usual (it's a standard 6 CD unit on a 56 plate GT) and it seemed to go a bit bonkers; the main issue seemingly that it won't play CD's in slots 5 or 6 and in 1-4 I have to put the CD's in at least twice before it recognises them. If I'm playing CD 1-4 and click on 5 or 6 it just returns to CD1 or says 'Check Disc' - it also makes a load of noise when I turn the ignition off - nothing major but really annoying ! Any thoughts ?

Second issue is a prominent knocking sound; it seems to come from the rear underside of the car and sounds like something heavy is swinging and knocking the underside of the car when on an uneven road surface - it's particularly noticable at low speed on something like a rough driveway for example and goes in time with the movement of the car. Could it be suspension related and has anybody had the same issue ??

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Both sound like common problems and not too expensive to fix. Re: the stereo it's probably best to just bin the BOSE and get a good aftermarket.

With the knocking sounds, is it when you're pulling away and reversing? If so its the comon fault and you can :pmzmanalex: for cheap replacement parts. he has a kit to fix it.

Wow, quick replies, big thanks to all - will PM re the BOSE as suggested.

The knocking is forward and reverse and seems to be in time with the 'swaying' of the car - almost as though there's something swinging - could well be suspension related. MOT this week so will ask them to take a look.

Any thoughts on brake pads by the way - are Pagid's reasonable for day to day ?

The BOSE setup IS good... WHEN it is working :lol: Just have to decide if you want to go OEM or get something new in.

Do a search for "clunk" on the forum, work out what the issues is, then talk to ZManAlex :)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50061&hilit=clunk

As for brakes pads... ALSO talk to Alex....

DBA rotors with Ferodo DS 2500 pads

QUALITY setup :thumbs:

The knocking is forward and reverse and seems to be in time with the 'swaying' of the car - almost as though there's something swinging - could well be suspension related. MOT this week so will ask them to take a look.

If you are hearing it in reverse and it is a "knocking" noise I would be inclined to suspect the exhaust. If it is more of "clicking" then almost certainly it is the clicky axle issue (very common and lots of info on here if you do a search) and for which there is an easy (short term) grease fix, or much better you get the replacement parts - not a lot of money and will be a permanent fix :pmzmanalex:;)