40yrs of the Z car by Top Gear article

JAMIE MOY

I'm no car swat but are they talking boll8x or what? 240z with a 2.0ltr engine? 280zx the 2nd gen and had a 3ltr engine? Z32 300zx n/a with 280bhp :wacko:

Whoever is responsible for that gem of an article should be shot. :boxing:

Lets be honest, top gear doesn't have a great track record for factual accuracy when it comes to the Z, the film in which clarkson slags off a pre-production 350z whilst spewing out wildly innacurate information springs to mind...

Although, what Clarkson says about the bassy speaker is pretty true, haha (even though you can just turn Bass down!). And when he says in his typical manner 'it doesn't really FEEEEEL that fast', I do get that sometimes :shrug: , and we'd all be lying if we didn't admit to the downright shabby interior plastics, and oh how those compartment covers wobble!

He is unfair on the Z though, but I think really he knows its a good car, just doesn't like it so shoots it down in trademark fashion!

As for that article, I was a bit annoyed that they called it '40 years of the Z' I was expecting a big album with lots of pictures and a nice couple of hundred words on each car, but all we got was 6 snaps, about two lines on each and they didnt even show a 370! :ban:

Indeed, personally i think they feel fast enough (don't actually own one yet but have driven many), but then the next fastest thing i've ever driven is a 2.0ltr A3, so maybe when your weekend car is a Gallardo Spyder 'only' 276 horses feels a bit sluggish...

From what he's said about some cars i've driven/been in, Clarkson decides whether he's going to like a car before he ever drives it i reckon, then finds reasons to make it good/bad.

Indeed, personally i think they feel fast enough (don't actually own one yet but have driven many), but then the next fastest thing i've ever driven is a 2.0ltr A3, so maybe when your weekend car is a Gallardo Spyder 'only' 276 horses feels a bit sluggish...

From what he's said about some cars i've driven/been in, Clarkson decides whether he's going to like a car before he ever drives it i reckon, then finds reasons to make it good/bad.

Possibly but the car doesnt feel fast because he only drove a standard one and they sound poo. Also the power is so smooth that its doesnt feel super fast but it pulls and pulls.

I'm no car swat but are they talking boll8x or what? 240z with a 2.0ltr engine? 280zx the 2nd gen and had a 3ltr engine? Z32 300zx n/a with 280bhp :wacko:

There are quite a few oddities, so it is possible. We seem to have just about every rare incarnation over here. 280 as far as I'm aware wasn't 3 litres though.

Some of the Z31 300zx, were 2 litres. Quite rare.

There are quite a few oddities, so it is possible. We seem to have just about every rare incarnation over here. 280 as far as I'm aware wasn't 3 litres though.

Some of the Z31 300zx, were 2 litres. Quite rare.

Wikipedia (as well as Immy of course) is our friend:

While the model names were based on the engine capacity for the US markets, with the 240Z having a 2.4 litre L24 engine and the 260Z having a 2.6 litre L26 engine and so on to the 300ZX 3.0 litre V6, due to Japanese taxation laws relating to engine capacity some second and third generation (S130 and Z31) Fairlady Z cars were produced for the Japanese domestic market fitted with 2.0L engines. The S130 was available with an L20E inline 6, while the Z31 had either a RB20DET inline 6 or a VG20E V6.