GReddy Oil Catch Can

Glenn1981

Hello all.

Just wanted to pick your brains.

At Japfest at the weekend I picked up a GReddy Catch Can at the Keo Sports trade stand (I beleive)

Anyway, I said to the guy that the writing and instructions all over it were in Japanese and that I needed the 9mm one, as instructed by Ian in a thread I had read on the subject, so he got the parts out, assured me that you measure the inside diameter of the taps that go into the tank, that these were 9mm and it was the right one. Now at £45, as against the £100 they are online, I took his word for it and my mate bought me it for my birthday (which was nice of him)

Anyway, still a little unsure, as I am sure the pipe diameter is what you go by, I noticed on the pack that there was a 15 on the label, so after some translation from my mates GF I have come to the conclusion I have bought a 15mm and been duped.

The diameter of the hole on the taps is 9mm, but the diameter of the tap end that would go into the pipe is 15mm, so I take it, ti is the wrong one?

So what can I do now, is it a major problem that it is the bigger size? I takie it the pipes that feed on to the plenum etc will not stretch over there may be some sort of problem with vaccum or flow?

Can you get a reducer, I saw Ian ( I know you will read this and have all the answers :p ) had mentioned this somewhere. Any ideas where I can get one?

Also anyone know where to get some red silicone pipe to fit it and how much I will need to fit it to the PCV side?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

:p

Only reducer I can find is 16mm-13mm :dry:

Might be able to ge something custom made, could try Earls & see if they can knock up some hoses for it?

Length needed depends on where you mount it, if its mounted by the intake then a metre of hose for each port should be enough.

Just checked on the earls site & you should be able to get by with a -10 into a -6 hose & they supply that size reducer. Be best to give them a call first to confirm though :thumbs:

cheers Ian, I thought you would have some ideas.

So is this pretty much useless then?

I take it I am right that I have the 15mm one then, as it is the diameter of the tap end not the hole in the tap?

Earls? is that a machine shop then?

Worst scenario is that I sell it on ebay and get the right one, only paid £45 and they are £70 on ebay.

Just checked on the earls site & you should be able to get by with a -10 into a -6 hose & they supply that size reducer. Be best to give them a call first to confirm though :thumbs:

Cheers Ian appreciate it.

I will go and look for this earls now ;)

cheers, I will have a word with earls (found them) and see what it is gonna cost to get the bits and if too much then whack it on ebay.

£100 to buy a new one over here from a trader, or £110 from the states on ebay, so at £45 might still be better to get the parts to fit this one.

Thanks again.

really good price I know, that is what is annoying!! I know they were alot more when we were discussing them!

I did get a receipt yep, gonna give them a call tomorrow and just see if there is anything he can do. If not I will call Earls and last resort put it on ebay. Be a real shame to do that though.

Think I have found a solution to the problem with a 15mm to 9mm PCV reducer here:

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Univers ... 984-1.html

I am guessing it is a small piece of 9mm hose from the valve to the reducer and then run some 15mm hose from reducer to catch can as normal? So will need 2x reducers and 2meters of 15mm samco hose for the can with 2x small bits of 9mm for the reducer connections

Or am I totally wrong?

Cheers