Which new Head Unit out of these 3? Thanks

DP7657

As I say, haven't experimented with the finer settings etc much yet so I'm not sure on that one. So far I have just been controlling it on the HU, not sure if it's possible to control from the iPod too (I've left the manual for it at work so can't check that).

It can be a bit fiddly controlling it all from the HU so an iPod control option as well would be good, I'll look into that. Would like to think that the guys at Car Audio Centre should be able to answer that for you too, I asked them loads of stuff before I got mine.

I forgot to ask, do you still need the bluetooth module that is already in the car or does the head unit do all of that itself? I didn't fancy spending £300-400 on a head unit but if I can sell the bluetooth module and my Pioneer head unit from my other car that might save me about £200!

No, that's the beauty of it. You get to sell the car bluetooth unit to help with the new purchase ;) It made me feel a lot better about the purchase too.

From my experience though, the built in mic in the car is a lot better than the one I have had fitted with the new HU. Not a massive problem but the OEM one was quite good, people could always hear me clearly below 60mph...now I get a lot of "are you driving?" / "I can't hear you" comments...oh well, the improvement of the HU from the OEM one outweighs this IMO.

Not sure actually, you'd have to ask someone else about that. If you find out that you can I'd love to know how to do it too! I have a feeling the answer might be no though because that would mean having the mic wired into the HU somehow...

Yeah, the 840 looks nice, basically identical to the 740 but with no buttons. Word of warning, I like the no buttons look too but using a touch screen whilst driving is quite fiddly...but to be fair I have to do that still with the 740 so the 840 is probably a better bet. I set the buttons and lights on my HU now to orange so they match with the dash in the Zed. It looks pretty smart so if you're looking to save a bit then I'd say there's not much difference between the two.

I quite want that one now haha :blush:

• 1 month later...

Dan - love the look of the JVC unit you've got installed. After reading this thread I've decided to go for the JVC KW-AVX840 unit instead. I agree about the awkwardness of not having a knob to control volume, but I'll have steering wheel controls and a remote control to use to do that.

I'm wanting a unit for CDs, ipod use/charging, with steering wheel control and with bluetooth connectivity through my car speakers (for phonecalls)

I'm just wanting to check that I've got this all correct as to what I need to order...

1 x Head Unit - http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -26929.htm

1 x 350Z Bose USC Loom - http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/steering ... 9-674.html

1 x Steering wheel adapter - http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/steering ... 9-004.html)

1 x Fascia panel -http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/facia_panel/autoleads/p~DFP-22-03.html

Is this everything that I need?

Is this everything that I need?

I'm not sure now mate, was a long time ago when I researched all of this! Everything I know is in one of my previous posts but I think you've got it all there. Make the most of Car Audio Centre and phone them up, the tech support on the phone was brilliant and they will confirm everything you need. If you don't want to buy it from them there are no obligations so make the most of the great service anyway. I bought it all from them because they let me haggle a bit to price-match other prices I found online.

I have also since found out that the volume can be controlled by sliding your finger over the screen when you have the screen turned off to black (I always fade it when listening to music) so that't good to know. In response to the last comment about it being a bit of a fiddly menu, I agree it is a bit fiddly to navigate within your ipod / usb but once you've selected a playlist / album it's not really a big deal and it beats trying to do it on your ipod whilst driving which is what I used to do in my Corsa :D

Hope that helps,

Dan

Hope that helps,

Dan

Thanks a lot mate, I'll give them a call and pick their brains. I just wasn't sure if I needed the inline booster, but since the output is 4V I didn;t think it would be necessary. I'll double check with them anyway.

Thanks again!

Baz

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the 840! Managed to get it for £331 and then £8 postage. Will be installing it this weekend.

Any tips on installing a headunit? I remember reading somewhere there's a certain way of doing it? ie remove new headunit cage and use existing one, or something along those lines?