Driver's airbag issue - How to bypass?

Maskell

Hello,

I have an '04 350Z and the horn & stereo controls don't work all the time. Also, my airbag light is on, it has been confirmed the code showing is for the drivers airbag...

I have taken the wheel apart today and double checked the connections and they all seem fine, the horn etc was working fine again for 5 minutes, then it all stopped working.

I have seen posts on this after searching but nothing that actually solved the problem. Does anyone know anything about this? If not, would a 2.2 ohm resistor in the airbag plug & a light reset stop it from coming on?

Thanks for any help...

Rob

nothing to do with connectors under seat on this occasion.

has the steering wheel been taken off. It has been reported before that this issue came up. Re-seat the steering wheel making sure no wires are trapped.

Cheers, the steering wheel has never came off...

I had the airbag out today, I could take the wheel off and try to re-seat it... I have spoken to Nissan and they have quoted me £500 & labour to fix it so I will whip the wheel off now.

Any other suggestions while I am trying this one?

Thanks again...

sounds like the cabling in the rotary coupler is dodgy

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this and rectify?

you can buzz out the pins on either side of the coupler using a multimeter while moving it about to see if there is any break in the circuit, alternatively you can get hold of a new coupler from :pmzmanalex: or :pmr35lee: and swap it out to see if it has an effect.

Hi mate, I had a similar problem. And solved it just now! :teeth:

I just replaced the spiral cable, (also known as airbag rotary) which is located just behind the steering wheel and all is good.

These cost £91 from Nissan which is not too bad! When connecting it, make sure the steering wheel is aligned straight and don't fiddle with it too much. Ohh, also make sure the battery is disconnected when removing the airbag!

If you have any trouble, Im sure Lee wont mind talking you through it! :thumbs:

Thanks guys!

Has someone got the part number for the airbag coupler?

PM Alex or Lee before Nissan, assuming they can help I'm sure you'll have a lot of change from £91!!

Lee is selling the unit for £75. Good Luck getting in touch with him. He seems to be very busy! Im not sure on alex's price.