Electrical problem - Non Zed related

narcotix

Hey guys,

I've been having some electrical problems at my place over the last week or so and I can't for the life of me work it out ...

I am at the point where I need an electrician to check it out but just thought it might be worth posting here in case there are any electricians etc ..

Ok so since around last week the sockets have been tripping every day ... If I switch it back on then it sometimes trips immediately and sometimes is ok for 30/60 mins ... its quite random really ..

I've made sure that nothing is connected to any sockets in the house and it makes no difference ... I've even switch the boiler off to rule that out too ..

What else is there that I can do before I call out a professional and pay the related cost?

Thanks for your help .. :thumbs:

is your main distribution board rcd protected. Sounds like a small leakage to earth which will trip it.

Remember all your spurs for heating systems etc will be connected to the ring main.

It may be a faulty socket or a loose cable leaking to earth.

The rcd monitors a balance between live and neutral and if it leaks to earth then the balance will be out and trip at 30mA.

let me know and ill give you a couple of ways to trace the source of the problem.

:thumbs:

I am not a qualified spark but pretty sure you will have a loose neutral in one of the sockets on the ring.

Could be a loose live but usualy neutral for some reason,

A forum spark will find you soon I'm sure.

I am not a qualified spark but pretty sure you will have a loose neutral in one of the sockets on the ring.

Could be a loose live but usualy neutral for some reason,

A forum spark will find you soon I'm sure.

im a spark :lol:

remember that rcd's mcb's can become faulty if they trip too many times.

The mcb's will have a specified number of times it can trip before it should be replaced. Rcd's should be tested regularly. It is possible for these to become faulty also.

Turn all the circuits off, see if the RCCB's still trip ... turn circuits on one by one until it trips again then you know if the problem lies on a specific circuit.

Unplug your fridge, these are most common cause of this type of tripping.

Ideally you should get an electrician in as there's something going on somewhere.

But if you insist, turn main switch of fuseboard off, make sure all connections in the fuseboard tight, make sure all connections on sockets etc are tight. unplug the fridge and all other apppliances as said, especially if it's old... see if that stops it.. if so then new fridge or have a non-rcd circuit installed for the fridge.

If it's still tripping then call an electrician, if it's an old board you may have a faulty RCCB so will need proper electrical RCD and ramp tests done then possibly a fuseboard replacement.

Also look at lighting, a blown lamp can trip an RCD/RCCB as can a bad lamp, worth a try.

Thing is with RCD's, it can be many things....

If you're in hampshire/portsmouth send me a PM if you have no luck, if not and you have to go for an electrician, look for someone in the ECA.. it's not gonna be "cheap" but you'll get a good guaranteed job done.

I'm an electrical contractor, but had quite a bit to drink :lol: so will look again tomorrow :thumbs:

Thanks for all your advice guys ..

I've tightned a couple of sockets so far so will try doing the rest first ...

I have a garden light which has a blown bulb by the looks of it ... could this still cause an issue even if I have switched it off?

Thanks for all your advice guys ..

I've tightned a couple of sockets so far so will try doing the rest first ...

I have a garden light which has a blown bulb by the looks of it ... could this still cause an issue even if I have switched it off?

Potentially, remove it and see :thumbs: