Stubby aerial

HassanZ

Thanks a lot Mike, just searched on Ebay and there's only one seller who is a Honda dealership. They are selling them for £24 including postage.

Thanks Coldel, what is the quality of the radio reception like?

Now I'm torn! Should I pay half that amount and get this or pay £24 and get the Honda one...?

yeah Mike, that's the reason why I want Coldel to confirm what the reception is like. Hopefully once he confirms the reception is the same or even better I'll order one of those. If not, I'll get the Honda one off Ebay :thumbs:

Does the CR-V/Civic one overhang also?

Many Thanks,

Hassan

Sorry chaps was in a meeting that dragged, reception was fine in and around town. Only time it struggled was when I was on country roads in cornwall where it only auto picked up channels like Radio 1. Generally though no problems at all with mine, still listen to Absolute radio as I drive round the M25 etc.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Right I will order the eBay version tonight, it's slightly cheaper and I'll earn some feedback also! ;)

The fact that you haven't had any issues with reception gives me greater confidence.

I appreciate your help!

Kind regards,

Hassan

I received my aerial today and wasted no time in fitting it on!

The actual aerial base is smaller than the base on the car, there are 2 holes exposed on the 350z base. I'm just scared rainwater may get into these holes? What do these holes lead to?

Photos are attached:

photo4-8.jpg

photo3-11.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

photo1-8.jpg

Get a black rubber "o" ring slightly smaller than the aerial and use it to fill the gap. My dad just got a new aerial fo his car as it was knackered and that's what he did with his, looks okay (well much better than without).

also would strongly advise some copper grease on the thread.

What's the reason for the copper grease?

Also, if I over-tighten the aerial (which I did), can I damage the thread or break anything?

The little holes that are exposed due to the new aerial being thinner than the base (shown in pics), if water gets into there can it damage anything?

I've noticed the radio quality is nowhere near as clear as before :wacko:

Many Thanks,

Hassan

I didn't notice the holes until you mentioned it! My dad just grabbed a tiny dab of black silicon gel and put it in there. By all accounts water in the holes doesn't have any effect, its just a slot to insert a tool which removes the aerial base.

Bizarre on reception, I just drove M25 round to Essex and back listening to Radio 1 no probs?

Looking at the photos, the holes seem more exposed than the ones on my car, literally only about a quarter of the outer part of the circular hole is exposed...?