Malfunction Indicator light on - what happens now?

purple&black

Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what happens next? For seemingly no reason the MI light came on today. Stopped immediately to read the 'owners manual' did as suggested, drove home slowly as it did not need towing. Does this just happen? the car sounds and drives fine.

Any suggestions or prognosis greatly appreciated.

Heather

Is the light just on solid or is it flashing, I am assuming not flashing otherwise the car would have limped home :surrender:

You can take it to Nissan, an Independent garage or have a go at reading the code yourself and posting it on here for advice :thumbs:

Here is the guide to reading the code, if you have a mobile with a stopwatch it is handy and if it has video too you can record the code as it is easy to count the flashes wrong ;)

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=42284

Reading the code will also reset it so you can see if it comes back or not :snack:

This is Charlotte: the light was just a solid colour, there was no flashing or anything like that :boat: so will look at website later, thanks Dave

No worries, the reset looks complicated but it's not too bad, you will probably have to try a couple of times though :p

Could be anything really, post the code up on here once you get it and someone will let you know what it is I am sure :thumbs:

Thanks Dave - have looked at the website and will give that a go tomorrow. Where does the code show up?

When you get the sequence of pressing the pedal right the light will flash a series of times and you count to get the number, like I said if you got a phone that can do video you can count them easier that way :thumbs:

Ts very tricky to get the code as the dash just keeps flashing at you. Just record it as dave suggests and lookup the code.

Hopefully after a reset all will be good and the light will never reappear again. That's what happened to me and dave came up with the goods and gave me the same advice as he gave you. Mind you I was racing around an airfield on a boiling day when mine decided to light up.

Hope you get it sorted.

Also Darren mentioned that you can get a device that will read and translate the code from somewhere on tinternet, anyone know where. Wouldn't mind getting one just in case as trying to read the flashes did my head in after 5 mins.

Decided not to try to sort this out myself but took it up to the local garage, who are very helpful, and they put her on the computer. Turned out to be an oxygen sensor on the exhaust, only took ten minutes and no charge, result :D so no big hassle The light is off and the car is fine. Hooray :thumbs:

Spent the afternoon claying the car for the first time, soooooo shiny B) will wax it in the morning.

Thanks for the advise.

Heather

Decided not to try to sort this out myself but took it up to the local garage, who are very helpful, and they put her on the computer. Turned out to be an oxygen sensor on the exhaust, only took ten minutes and no charge, result :D so no big hassle The light is off and the car is fine. Hooray :thumbs:

Spent the afternoon claying the car for the first time, soooooo shiny B) will wax it in the morning.

Thanks for the advise.

Heather

Mine was o2 sensor when mine came on too so join the club :thumbs: Mine was self inflicted though :blush:

I had the light come on this morning, the throttle wouldn't engage until I turned the engine off and re-started. Used the guide here to get the code (P2135 - Throttle Position Sensor) and re-set the computer.

Car has been 100% fine other than the one time, will definitely get it checked out if the error comes up again any time soon.

Thanks for your posts on here, helped me through a scary first weekend of 350Z ownership...

I had the light come on this morning, the throttle wouldn't engage until I turned the engine off and re-started. Used the guide here to get the code (P2135 - Throttle Position Sensor) and re-set the computer.

Car has been 100% fine other than the one time, will definitely get it checked out if the error comes up again any time soon.

Thanks for your posts on here, helped me through a scary first weekend of 350Z ownership...

you can do a throttle position reset matey. Not just ecu :thumbs:

i used to flash up o2 sensor faults due to having no cats :ninja: But all sorted during remap and theyre now turned off :yahoo: