Buying a second hand car

TomS

I did a quick search for this but nothing specific came up for what I was looking for, might be a guide I've missed somewhere though!

Looking at buying a second hand zed and it being the first car that's actually going to cost me a considerable amount of money, I thought it would be good to find out everything I need to know before handing over cash to someone. My current car cost me £1k about 5 years ago from a friend's friend so I never really went into detail on what I needed to get off of him and can't remember either way!

So having a quick look on the internet I've come across a few things but I'm sure there are many other things to check and ask for before handing over money:

Check address on logbook

Check VIN on the car against VIN in logbook

MOT certificates

Logbook

Service History

Check the seller is the recorded keeper

So what else is there that you generally need to check on any second hand motor? I know of a fair few of the common 350Z faults but wouldn't mind some help on the wider aspect of buying a second hand motor!

Cheers :thumbs:

Well I officially fail at searching! :bangin:

edit:

Looking at that thread, that's more 350Z specific, which are the bits I know about. I'm looking for the more generic 'buyin a second hand car from a private seller' kind of thing. What needs to be handed over, checked etc

Thanks!

I always check the bonnet/engine to see if she's been started recently. I check the obvious areas for signs of repair/damage (around radiator, lift boot carpet etc). Check with VoSA for last MOT and see if any advisories, DO A HPI check! - also worth noting with some you get 7 days free insurance, I've used it a few times). Check the interior, see if condition matches mileage, check all electrics and of course test drive.

I say I do all that, it takes discipline and I'm terrible for buying cars off ebay/internet and not checking properly but I've been lucky so far. I got my current zed from autoquake, nearly 14k delivered and taxed from Leeds (I'm in wales) and I bought it over the phone!!! :teeth: She's stunning though.

Well I officially fail at searching! :bangin:

edit:

Looking at that thread, that's more 350Z specific, which are the bits I know about. I'm looking for the more generic 'buyin a second hand car from a private seller' kind of thing. What needs to be handed over, checked etc

Thanks!

Which is why I said check out Auto-Trader....

As everyone else has said plus...

Be aware that these text "hpi" checks are not as thorough as a proper hpi check and do not show outstanding finance. Do a proper check. Don't be frightened to phone up stamps in service history to check they are genuine or previous owner.

Leave a £100 deposit and then do some research. Better to potentially loose this than thousands!!

Hope this helps a bit.