Wheel Nuts

eleets01

Hi There,

I was recently changing my brake pads and somehow or other managed to lose my locking nut :doh: so now I've got 4 wheels with McGard locking nuts with no key and no details of getting the key replaced, however, I've emailed McGard and they can actually get me a replacement key just through a photograph as long as i provide some other details to prove i own the car.

My mate works in a garage and he says he has some wee gizmo that will get them off no bother, so i think it will be faster taking them all off and just buying a new set of locking nuts...

Theres not much price difference between getting the replacement key or the new locking nuts with replacement key but i assume buying the set will be a bit faster and the car is needing an mot urgently so time is of the essence :)

Basically to cut that long story short (sorry) I was wondering if anyone could recommend decent ones? I have no preference but I would happily buy McGard ones again...

If i was going to be buying the Mcgard ones i was kinda looking for some details that i would need... (i know nothing about cars)

the website "demon-tweeks" supplies McGard locking nuts for £36 but its asking for "thread, seat, total length and head size"

I've read on here the thread size is 12x1.25 but what about the seat and length and head size?

ive got a 55 plate with the rays alloys on...

Any help would be very much appreciated!! :)

Cheers!!

I had the same problem. I ended up using a 19 or 21 impact socket on them. I just smashed a socket that fitted over the locking ones and used a strong arm to loosen it and it worked fine. The only problem is they will be destroyed and are not resuable obviously.

Good Luck :thumbs:

My bud came over with the tool but we only managed to get one of the nuts off, he's told me that his garage will manage the other ones and get the mot done as well for a decent price so hopefully he drives the car up to the garage (and back) safely...

I think it was possibly the dynomec tool that he had with him. if he had brought more of the "ends" we would have got all 4 nuts off but he only brought the one...

anyway i am hoping that this gets the job done and ill send for those locking nuts Beau told me about, thankfully they are only about 25 miles away so should be fast delivery :D

Thanks for the advice :) cant wait to boot the utter fnck outta the car tommorow night (it better be dry) haha

i'm not active on this forum alot but i do use it all the time :) cheers folks :D

12x1.25 tapered seating is all you need. Although the add says Subaru, there still the correct ones.

These ones on the link are from the shop i work at in the evenings, lol. Great lockers and you also get a code in the pack that you keep at home so if you lose your key we can send you a new one next day (we hold all the spare keys in stock!) So no need to ever break them off :)