my exhaust blows!

Danish07

hey guys,

Its been ages since I've been on the forum so I'd like to apologise for only ever coming on when I've got problems........speaking of which :lol:

my zed's in the workshop :scare: shes's been acting up lately, shuddering like crazy towards the end of long drives. the first mechanic I took her to didnt solve the probem but charged me for wheel balancing and alignment. the next mechanics couldnt find anything wrong with the engine either and said it had logged no errors.

In passing, I mentioned to them that my lovely friends in the southwest told me that my exhaust was blowing slightly due to a corroded gasket which, now that I'd thought about it, could be the cause of the problems. So they checked it out and lo and behold, its broken!

I could probably have said all of the above in one line but I have a flair for the dramatic :D

so, uh.... getting to the point :bang:

- do you guys reckon the exhaust could have caused the shuddering (at approx 60-70mph in 6th, around 3-3.5k revs cruising on the motorway) which disappeared in 10-15mins, after I'd pulled over and parked at the closest services

- can you guys suggest what exhaust I should replace my broke standard one with? bearing in mind I havent made any other mods to the car yet.

bit of extra info, the mechanics have quoted me in the region of £600 to fit a standard nissan exhaust back on there. hence the search for aftermarket options as I seem to recall there being some decently priced ones out there. oh and budget wise, i'm so poor i supplement my income by taking part in clinical trials :p (mind you, they do pay well :lol: )

Danish

Hang on.

If the gasket is broken, then you can just buy another gasket and replace it. They are about 3quid each. You dont need to replace the whole exhaust system.

If the exhaust was blowing through the gasket then it could cause a bit of a lumpy response, but i wouldnt have thought it would be THAT bad. But, the first thing i would do, is get the gasket replaced and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt, its only cost you 3quid for the bit and ruled that out of the equation.

Your mechanics sound a bit dodgy...

i have a scorpion on order with CS at the moment - it was due to be delivered this week, but scorpion are running behind on the manufacture side so it will be next week.

The scoprion is £374 delivered to my door.

Fitting is £45 by my local mechanic.

Will also get him to do a bumper tuck at the same time - costing nowt.

Jonathan.

Really quick question for everyone that I need answered asap! just on the phone to Japspeed suppliers and I need to let them know if i want their k1 exhaust by 12.

CS have been really helpful and have a milltek lined up for me but the cost has started to worry me. So the question is; do i go for the japspeed K1 or the milltek, bearing in mind the japspeed saves me around 400quid.

Danish

Really quick question for everyone that I need answered asap! just on the phone to Japspeed suppliers and I need to let them know if i want their k1 exhaust by 12.

CS have been really helpful and have a milltek lined up for me but the cost has started to worry me. So the question is; do i go for the japspeed K1 or the milltek, bearing in mind the japspeed saves me around 400quid.

Danish

K1 will be VERY loud plus quite a few people have had fitment issues with Japspeed products. Miltek will be much better quality build and sound IMHO.

thanks guys. i guess i'll go for the milltek then seeing as noone likes the japspeed

while i'm at it, would anyone like to donate to the "sponsor a poor student with a penchant for fast cars" fund that I just started :D ?

danish