MREV2 with Supercharging

Cookbot

would a SC'ed car have any benefit from also having the MREV2? This would be done before remapping.

Cookie

I'd say it'd have a bigger benefit for an SC Zed over NA as more air (& fuel) is even more crucial with FI.

My SC Zed has a full APS (tall boy) plenum which along with the CAI, larger injectors,bigger fuel pump, decats and true dual exhaust improves the quantity of air and fuel available to burn - hence more power.

I don't think it will make a major difference :p Especially when you compare £s to HP ratio :surrender: With FI you are increasing the charge air with compression and hence providing more than enough intercooled to all cylinders whereas in NA tune every little helps. Personally i would spend my money on oil cooling or brakes or handling or better still cams.

To butress my point note that the non tuner vortech or HKS sc kits use the OEM configurations both intake and exhaust and make the claimed power consistently and safely. Even our Nurrish got circa 420 WHP on max aggro tune without plenum spacers or MREV2 AFAIK ;) . These bits are more important for squeezing the last drop of hp out of NA setup and though i have had them before and got them now again, they donot justify the hp/£ ratio :surrender: .

However money no object i will go for every available option to get every HP and ensure reliability whever i could :teeth: ie Cosworth, SSV, APS, SGS intake. But remember headers and exhaust will have to be uprated too if the intake is uprated if not you choke the engine.

I don't think it will make a major difference :p Especially when you compare £s to HP ratio :surrender: With FI you are increasing the charge air with compression and hence providing more than enough intercooled to all cylinders whereas in NA tune every little helps. Personally i would spend my money on oil cooling or brakes or handling or better still cams.

To butress my point note that the non tuner vortech or HKS sc kits use the OEM configurations both intake and exhaust and make the claimed power consistently and safely. Even our Nurrish got circa 420 WHP on max aggro tune without plenum spacers or MREV2 AFAIK ;) . These bits are more important for squeezing the last drop of hp out of NA setup and though i have had them before and got them now again, they donot justify the hp/£ ratio :surrender: .

However money no object i will go for every available option to get every HP and ensure reliability whever i could :teeth: ie Cosworth, SSV, APS, SGS intake. But remember headers and exhaust will have to be uprated too if the intake is uprated if not you choke the engine.

Comparing £ to HP you think that cams are better than a lower collector? Lower collector is roughly £250? and cams are rougly 3x that amount - before labour naturally ;)

Also don't forget that the HKS kit comes with its own oil supply & oil cooler & I believe cookbot already has an engine oil cooler ;) Stock brakes are ok on a road car IMO, my car held up just fine on stock disks & pads :p and cams are a bitch of a job as are headers. Stock headers are also pretty good, certainly good enough to flow 400+ hp & definitely well enough to justify keeping them over the cost of a 10 hour labour bill just for install alone - the only reason I did them was because of the retarded cheap deal I got on them :p

Lower collectors are also not designed for the DE cars which is why Nurrish never used one ;)

Comparing £ to HP you think that cams are better than a lower collector? Lower collector is roughly £250? and cams are rougly 3x that amount - before labour naturally ;)

Also don't forget that the HKS kit comes with its own oil supply & oil cooler & I believe cookbot already has an engine oil cooler ;) Stock brakes are ok on a road car IMO, my car held up just fine on stock disks & pads :p and cams are a bitch of a job as are headers. Stock headers are also pretty good, certainly good enough to flow 400+ hp & definitely well enough to justify keeping them over the cost of a 10 hour labour bill just for install alone - the only reason I did them was because of the retarded cheap deal I got on them :p

Lower collectors are also not designed for the DE cars which is why Nurrish never used one ;)

Ian bod you are just voicing my same thinking mate ;) The std engine setup will make good HP and torque with most SC kits and the money could be spent elsewhere.

I know your zed was quick and ok on std brakes but compared to what :shrug: i only had a measly 288WHP full bolt on tune but i can guarantee you that with almost fully adjustable suspension and a BBK i would have kept you zed in the dark on most tracks and only loose out to it on on straights or the drag strip.

It all comes down to what you are prepared to spend. Just like i think the cossie plenum was too much £ for HP! but i know how you like to do things B)

The MREV2 is not £250 BTW unless you modify a std DE one yourself but if you import the real MD one you will be close to £400 in the end. Cams will make more noticeable gains depending on what you want out of the car and TBH you can get them for about £700 if you do your homework on my350z.

I just got a ported intake manifold and original MREV2 and some few other bits through my my network from my 350z for about £200 :scare:

I hope to be offering an import service soon :thumbs:

The point I'm making is that its a relatively cheap mod to do & will atleast gain him something ;) You may well be right re: the cost of it, its not something I ever investigated :)

Brakes - compared to what? like I said, on a road car stock brakes (or even uprated disks & pads are fine) IMO on a road car a BBK is overkill & you know how much I love overkill :lol:

Suspension? I'd fancy my car to hold its own against yours on track ;) Cusco coilovers & arbs weren't just for show ;)

You can pick up a set of BC cams new for about £700ish but the point about installation remains ;)

As for the cossie, that was just baller B) I actually cried a little when I sold it :byebye:

The point I'm making is that its a relatively cheap mod to do & will at least gain him something ;) You may well be right re: the cost of it, its not something I ever investigated :)

£400 for MREV 2 and £700 for cams I know what i will go for ;) Fittuing cams is not that expensive and can even be DIY if you have the nuts for it

Brakes - compared to what? like I said, on a road car stock brakes (or even uprated disks & pads are fine) IMO on a road car a BBK is overkill & you know how much I love overkill :lol:

i agree! But if you increase HP then surely you want to improve braking and explore the car's potential. So a bbk will be cheaper long run. Lets be clear about it..... the stock brakes with or without uprated bits is only good for limited laps or aggressive fast road use :dummy: I have seen people here spend close to 1K to get OEM size uprated disc and part trackday pads eg DS2500 and braided hoses and fluid all round but the gains are minimal compared to the outlay ;) Husky and Wasso has can testify what the BBk can do even on A/B roads as they have been in my car. For Wasso it must be still freshly imprinted on his mind. :p

Suspension? I'd fancy my car to hold its own against yours on track ;) Cusco coilovers & arbs weren't just for show ;)Oh i forgot you had these :thumbs::thumbs: It would have help geatly but then when you look into my tyre setup 265/295x19" and the BBK i would guarantee on outbraking consistently :lol:

You can pick up a set of BC cams new for about £700ish but the point about installation remains ;)

see above. DIY or a reasonable garage will sort it for a good price. Just look at what the US guys are DIYing themselves :clap: why are we so apprehensive? Through research i found out i can swap my bushes for little outlay and will be able to prove it with a little guide soon

As for the cossie, that was just baller B) I actually cried a little when I sold it :byebyeI still can't work out you and Nurish :wacko: After blazing the trail you you got rid of the kits well before extracting max fun :shrug:

That my friend..........you will always be a baller and i admire you for that but secretly think its youthful exuberance :lol::lol: Wait when you have a kid(s), a wife and all the trappings then you will become more objective in your modding unless of course you are a big hitter and have oodles of £ to spare B)

£400 for MREV 2 and £700 for cams I know what i will go for ;) Fittuing cams is not that expensive and can even be DIY if you have the nuts for it

No doubt it can be done DIY, but a lot of people on here struggle to tie their shoe laces, nevermind install a set of cams :p

i agree! But if you increase HP then surely you want to improve braking and explore the car's potential. So a bbk will be cheaper long run. Lets be clear about it..... the stock brakes with or without uprated bits is only good for limited laps or aggressive fast road use :dummy: I have seen people here spend close to 1K to get OEM size uprated disc and part trackday pads eg DS2500 and braided hoses and fluid all round but the gains are minimal compared to the outlay ;) Husky and Wasso has can testify what the BBk can do even on A/B roads as they have been in my car. For Wasso it must be still freshly imprinted on his mind. :p

I agree :surrender: When I was considering upgrading, I was looking into a BBK as the cost wasnt hugely more & they look nice :teeth:;)

Oh i forgot you had these :thumbs::thumbs: It would have help geatly but then when you look into my tyre setup 265/295x19" and the BBK i would guarantee on outbraking consistently :lol:

Aaah but then we take into account the fact that I was running 255/285 x 19" & much much lighter wheels & also with the mods I had a much lighter car (although I would probably make the difference up again :blush: ) ;)

see above. DIY or a reasonable garage will sort it for a good price. Just look at what the US guys are DIYing themselves :clap: why are we so apprehensive? Through research i found out i can swap my bushes for little outlay and will be able to prove it with a little guide soon

As above, struggle to do shoe laces :lol: I think the U.S guys reckoned 12 hours to install cams? I'd definitley look at doing it DIY if there was a proper guide for it (There wasn't the last time I looked but there might be now)

I still can't work out you and Nurish :wacko: After blazing the trail you you got rid of the kits well before extracting max fun :shrug:

That my friend..........you will always be a baller and i admire you for that but secretly think its youthful exuberance :lol::lol: Wait when you have a kid(s), a wife and all the trappings then you will become more objective in your modding unless of course you are a big hitter and have oodles of £ to spare B)

Simple reason for getting rid is that I regretted not going TT at the start :) There was sod all difference in cost but I bottled it and went for the safe option that & the fact that after 13 years chasing a GTR I will finally get one :#1: I'll be back in a Z one day though ;)

As for being a "baller" - nah don't believe in it, I'd been saving for years for it. I'm just lucky that I only have myself to take care of at the moment & get to spend my spare cash on myself ;)

Anyway, back on topic - I'd go ahead & get the MREV, its £400 & you will gain a bit more from it

Ian, I'm so happy for you that have found the one B) Anymore details :thumbs:

I wish we had had the that race in the zeds but maybe we will do it at some point on GTR with you blazing the trail ;)

Goodluck mate and keep us posted. but if you went for the R33 i will never speak to you again :teeth: R34 or R35 FTFW :#1:

BTW its a good thing you did not go TT; you would be broke after all the eventual hiccups :lol: Mid mount or rear mount @ around 380-400HP would be safer and cheaper Plus less heat, more turbo cooling = better oil longevity and hence engine life :p

It will be a 34 ;) or a 35 if my shares keep rising :lol:

Found the perfect GTR a few months back - £24k, 60K KM, Pearl white, 19" RE30s, Ganador Mirrors, Nismo Exhaust, Coilovers, GReddy BBK & some HKS filters. I just couldnt shift the Z in time or afford to put down the deposit to import it & take a chance on it :(

Still looking though even if I do get sidetracked by looking at other stuff :ninja: