Tech help: Hard to find juddering noise - front os

dejavu

Hi there, thanks for looking.

I have been experiencing a strange juddering noise that sounds like it is coming fron the front offside wheel. It is only really noticeable on rough surfaces such as cobbles (very obvious) and cracked roads. On smooth roadways there is no noise. Noise timed perfectly with when/if front off-side hits the rough/rutted ground.

When I brake the noise will lessen and if I brake a bit more it goes away completely. resuming when I release the brakes.

I have taken it into a garage and with a few experience assistants (who did most of the work, good guys that they are) we have checked the drop link, brake pads, discs, wheel bearing and given all the bits there a good tug to reproduce the sound. All bolts are tight and none of the buses or suspension looks work or broken.

When we put it on a ramp, jack it up and get a lever under the wheel we can get a bit of vibration but it is hard to track down where it is coming from.

Noise still happens with brake pads removed and flexi compressed for that brake.

Noise still happens with replaced wheel hub (bearing etc.) as bought from ZMANALEX.

Noise still happens with drop link disconnected and cable tied out of the way.

Noise is a drum-roll style judder but I don't feel it in the steering like a misbalanced wheel or such, just an irritating noise.

************************* this is starting to drive me bonkers as I have been trying to fix for over a week

Nissan mechanic, when hearing the noise said it might be something to do with the banana arm, anyone know if this is a good direction to go in for investigation. Ideally I would like to avoid replacing every part of the suspension from a cost perspective *******************

Thanks again

Ryan

Edited 24/03 ChrisS

I have had very similar, in fact I was listening most of the way to work this morning. On smooth tarmac it's fine, but hit any sort of uneven surface and it sounds like the front suspension is bottoming out, very clunky (if you know what I mean) Recently had the front drop links changed as one had gone big time. If the bushes are OK then compression arms will not be your problem, unless they had got bent in any way. Feel your pain as it drives me mad & takes away some of the enjoyment.

Suffering same problem as described in the first post and yes, braking removed the noise. Coming from front offside. I have renewed the compression arm bushes, in fact I have renewed all the front suspension bushes. Ball joints are good. Disconnected droplinks to make sure it was not the anti roll bar bushes. No play in hub either. Really rattles over ruts. Any body else find a cause/cure?

guys

funny enough i am ordering a set of compression arm (banana arm)bushes tomorrow from ZMANALEX, got exactly the same problem, seems to be quite common . took the motor over to a member after he kindly invited me as he had suffered the same problem, but cost him thousands before he finally replaced the bushes. TOP MAN. (attakz)

dont think you will go wrong with these but if unsure please PM ZMANALEX.

hope this helps, PS let me order mine first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:pmzmanalex:

I replced the banana arm bushes, rattle (knock?) persists over uneven surface. Has to be suspension related, no noise on smooth surfaces at any speed, straight road or bends. No more bushes left to change, two new droplinks fitted, anti roll bar bushes are good. I have a new hub to fit but the old one makes no noise whatsoever. This noise is specifically front right, lots of people asking the same question on 350z forums worldwide but no answers other than the usual.

Anybody ever get the same noise from a suspension strut topmount?

I have a spare set of banana arm bushes if anybody would like to make me an offer (bought two sets in case I got it wrong).

So... zed is booked in for Tuesday and hopefully Nissan will be able to shed some light on this. Looks like its not clear cut what the solutions is. I would love for it to be the Compression arm, hoever I am not convinced it is either.

When I first spoke with Nissan mechanic he said to check compression arm and copper slip, which i had done on Friday and it didn't make any difference.

• 2 months later...

fella's.. im new to the club, but have had my 350 since 2005 and up till now its been great not a problem. but it seems i now have the front end knock! ive followed advice on here and checked out the banana bars had to replace near side as bush and ball joint were knacked. also replaced anti rollbar drop links. but problem still the same. all the rest of the front end suspention bushes are fine..

has anyone solved this problem?

could it be related to the steering rack.. are there any bushes above?

i need help....

ps thanks to everyone posting on here. its a great to pick your brains, re scorpion exhaust fantastic..

I never updated this thread after completing repairs

the end solutions was to replace the shock absorber which virtually eliminated the knocking noise, not sure if that will be the solution for you as these problems (Which I am now having with a different car) are hideously complex and hard to solve in cars with complicated & stiff suspension

good luck and hopefully some of the other bods on here can help you like they helped me.

Ryan