Immobiliser LED

Josh350z

Hi

Was hoping someone might be able to help me with a strange problem that began tonight.

After getting into my car tonight (JDM), I noticed the immobiliser LED was on constantly and stayed on, even when the car was started.

It is still on solid now, not flashing as it usually does.

Having realised about six month ago that being an import, it didn't have an alarm, I had a Clifford Intelliguard 950 alarm system fitted.

Up until now the red LED on the dashboard flashed whenever the car was turned off.

Having read a PDF version of the handbook (US Version I think), although I assume this is generic for a 350z's, it says:

Security indicator light

This light blinks whenever the ignition switch is in

the LOCK, OFF or ACC position. This function

indicates the security system equipped on the

vehicle is operational.

If the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System is

malfunctioning, this light will remain on while the

ignition key is in the ON position.

If the light still remains on and/or the

engine will not start, see your NISSAN

dealer for Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System

service as soon as possible. Please

bring all Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System keys that you have when visiting your NISSAN dealer for service.

I have no problem starting the car and I assumed having the alarm system (which includes an immobiliser) fitted this by-passed the factory immobiliser.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? is there any way to reset the immobiliser? and probably more important, will it progress to a point where I will not be able to start the car?

I was going to have the car serviced in the next couple of weeks anyway, so can get them to look at it, but would anyone know if I should get it seen too sooner?

I'm assuming the LED doesn't draw that much current, so won't have a flat battery in the near future. But its just a bit annoying having a Red light reflexing on the windscreen in the dark.

Any help would be much appreciated, especially if anyone knows of a way to reset the immobiliser.

Cheers

Josh.

Probably something & nothing mate. Firstly the led will be drawing next to no current so don't worry about that. I don't know if JDM's have a factory immobiliser or not, does your Clifford have a separate LED or have they wired it to the factory one?

If it has a separate one I would doubt theres anything wrong with the Clifford, if it doesn't again I would doubt there is much wrong due to the fact that the car is still starting.

Worth getting it checked I'd say but wouldn't take it to Nissan - have the place that installed your Clifford take a look or a decent auto electrician should be able to sort you at a fraction of the cost.

Cheers Andy

Yeah, the Clifford has a seperate LED, all seems to be working fine with the alarm system!

I spoke to the guy from Clifford that fitted my alarm this morning and he said the only way the immobiliser LED staying on would have anything to do with the Clifford Alarm is if I had Remote Start fitted (which I don't).

It definately seems a problem with the cars immobiliser.

As I say, it's not a great problem having the LED stay on, just worried that one day the system wont read the key.

Do you think I should disconnect the battery? this may reset the ECU / Immobiliser.

Josh

Not sure about battery disconnect mate, may cause you more probs than you've got at the moment. Personnally I'd say get rid of the factory immobiliser, presumably the Clifford has one included.

I've had more than 1 immobiliser & alarm system on a previous car (a hangover from previous owner having a couple of systems and me then getting a better one on but asking for the previous to still be left on there) and I had a major electrical problem related to 1 of the immobilisers kicking in but the auto electricians had a nightmare finding which one and then fault finding. I never ended up getting it fully sorted and whenever I wanted to start the car I had to lift the bonnet, put a clip on the battery pos terminal then start. I also had to stall the car each time I wanted to stop cos the only other way was to remove the clip - a total pain in the arse.

What I've come to realise is that if someone wants your car and they're a professional it really isn't going to make any difference if you've got 1 immobiliser or 100 cos they're gonna have the equipment to get past it.

If its a chancer then they're unlikely to have the knowledge to get past a decent Thatcham Cat 1 system.

Andy

Not sure I can just get rid of factory immobiliser!!

Isn't all the immobiliser/security linked via the chip in the Key? NATS system.

The LED being on continuously indicates a malfunction in the NATS system, as you say, it could be something and nothing.

The Clifford Alarm I have fitted does include an immobilser.

Cheers

Josh

Andy

Not sure I can just get rid of factory immobiliser!!

Isn't all the immobiliser/security linked via the chip in the Key? NATS system.

The LED being on continuously indicates a malfunction in the NATS system, as you say, it could be something and nothing.

The Clifford Alarm I have fitted does include an immobilser.

Cheers

Josh

Surely on your car the NATS system is just an immobiliser isn't it?

Hi Andy

Yes it is just an Immobiliser, as far as I know!!.

Is there a way to bypass the NATS then and still have no problems starting the car?

I just assumed that it was all linked back to the ECU, if you don't have the key or NATS malfunctions, the car won't start.

Like you say, there is no real need to have the factory immobiliser, I just didn't realise there was a way to bypass it without having problems reading the key to start the car.

cheers

I don't honestly know that much about NATS mate but I would have thought that a decent auto sparky would be able to get rid of it. What impact this would have on the car I'm not sure, I'd suggest speaking to Nissan GB but I doubt you'll get much joy there.

I've got a UK so it maybe worth a new thread to JDM owners to see if they can help more :teeth: