Worrying Grabbing/Grinding Sound.....

BigDaveZed

.... from the front passenger side wheel area. Everything was fine on Wednesday after work. Car was left standing today and I have just driven her to the gym and back and whenever I turn the steering wheel right towards full lock I get a strange whining sound accompanied by some shuddering from the front left hand side. Can feel it all the way through the steering wheel.

I am hoping its something silly like the brakes sticking but am very worried about bearings etc. Has anyone experienced this issue or can advise me on a good course of action? I have not been able to have a good look as it is dark now lol.

Regards

Dave

Hmm that sounds a little bit like an issue I had recently with power steering. Check the powersteering tank and see if it's down on the cold min? If so, have a look for a leak, may be able to spot the drips on the undertray if you can get some light and an angle to look down inside the engine bay?

In my case, these high pressure pipes that sit on the passenger side had seen some weather and developed an ever so gradual leak (all greek to me, but Steve gave me a gander at the goosed part). It's a part nissan have recalled & uprated, and sponsored to keep the price down thankfully, and Falcon sorted it all out for me. :thumbs:

It could also be an air bubble in the power steering system if the power steering tank is full, I haven't seen 1 but there must be a how to on bleeding the power steering around here somewhere. IIRC on the MR2 it was something like hold full lock with electrics on but not the engine for 10 seconds, then repeat on the other full lock - but don't just randomly try that on a Z.

Ok so I went and got this sorted at Nissan. Turns out the cooler was leaking so had a replacement fitted and had the fluids topped up. Now I get a strange juddering through the steering at certain points when cornering. Although it is getting harder and harder to reproduce!

My question is does fresh fluid need to bed in a bit or do I have air in the pipes? It is slightly concerning me obviously so any advice is also appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to jump in here this sounds the same issue i seem to have, but its only from a cold start? if i turn more than halfway to full lock when the car is cold i get a noise that sounds like a really bad asthmatic blowing through a trumpet. But once the engine is warmed up in a few minutes its gone? would this be the same thing? or air in the system?