What Happens If You Don't Have Insurance

Peter10

Reading another thread I can see a lot of people hate uninsured drivers (as do I). They are one of the main reasons why our premiums are so high. It is estimated that 1 in 12 cars on the road are uninsured, that is about 1.7 million cars.

The number of people caught driving without insurance has increased by almost a fifth in the last three years. This means that there are around 1.7 million uninsured drivers on our roads today (1 in 12 of all road users) which adds around £40 to the average annual motor insurance premium. The odds on you having an accident with an uninsured motorist is therefore far higher than you might expect. New police powers allow for vehicles to be impounded if they are proven to have no insurance cover, but progress is slow and the numbers of uninsured vehicles on our roads continue to increase.

So, I thought some of you may be interested in how London Met deal with uninsured drivers (maybe other forces do to). It hits people hard and they usually end up in court. However, what a lot of people don't realise now though, as a recent sticky on this forum highlights is that failure to declare modifications can result in a policy being void. Modifications can be difficult for the average person to see, however if a police officer pops the bonnet and a V6 engine is in the place of a 1200cc engine in a VW Golf they will know.

So here is what happens:

* Car stopped after check is done & flashes no insurance. Checks can be done in many ways all of which give the same result.

* Driver is questioned regarding their policy/lack of policy. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the national computer to update.

* Driver is asked questions such as company name, date policy was taken out, cost etc. Police can call an insurance database (Motor Insurance Bureau - MIB) and can find if a vehicle is insured regardless if it is on the national computer yet.

* If all checks out away the driver goes on their way.

If not the following then happens:

* On the spot £200 fixed notice for no insurance which carries 6 points. Courts can increase this.

* Car is seized there and then, even if someone who is insured is available to remove the car for the driver. Seizure costs around £120.

* Car is impounded at a cost of £20 a day from midnight the day the car was seized for a maximum of 7 days.

To get their car back the driver/owner must attend the impound lot and have on them:

* Full driving license

* MOT certificate

* Proof of insurance

* Tax (if it didn't have it)

* And I believe also the log book

If the car is not recovered after 7 days, the car is recycled and cost of doing so is sent to the owner.

Total costs:

6 points

+ £200 for the fine

+ £120 for removal costs

+ £140 for 7 days storage

= £460 not including cost to crush car & cost of car in the first place

The thing is, whilst it doesn't sound a lot, the chances of getting caught again are going up, as the technology is so easy and more people are willing to pay the bill for the equipment to help various authorities.

Whilst I doubt anyone on this forum drives uninsured, don't allow your modifications catch you out and make sure your family & friends are fully aware. If anything, I find it quite interesting how the process works and how it has changed from a simple ticket to the chance of having a car taken away completely.

Pete

Sometimes it takes a day or two for the national computer to update

Yes, when I first got my Clio I insured it on a Monday morning but was unable to tax it online till late on Wednesday, it kept showing no insurance. Different story with The MOT though, after The Zed passed I was able to Tax it within 20 minutes.

Pete