Mixing Rotors front/back?

SunGodRA

MOT due soon, and last year I had an advisory on front disks, which are still original OEM. Suffice to say I need to replace and EBC Ultimax grooved looks like a good option on a budget - will also replace pads with either Ferodo or yellow stuff.

My question is, will it be okay to have different rotors and pads on front than existing OEM on rear, or do I need to do all four corners at once?

You will be fine the fronts do all the work. Alot of people mix rotors. The ebc rotors have proven to be a nightmare for people. I'd pay a little extra and get something decent to be honest. Ebc new pads are great but rotors aren't through review.

although it will work it will affect your brake balance. this could lead to unwanted and unexpected behaviour under heavier braking.

having much better fronts than backs isn't the end of the world, it's certainly better than the other way around. What you may find is the car feeling unbalanced under braking and you may need to alter your driving style with respect to this.

here's an article on brake bias if you want to learn more

http://dsr.racer.net/brake_bias.htm

Losing traction on the front tires is not as bad as on the rear. You usually plow forward in in the original direction until the driver lightens up enough on the pedal to regain control. As a general rule, 60% of your braking capacity should be on the front tires. Whatever the percentage is for your particular car, the front tires should lock up slightly before the rear tires.

Thanks John - as I was typing post I kinda realised that myself...

To make things worse, I have tyre mix as well - the Bridgestones you sold me with wheels on front, and new Falkens on rear...

Gotta feeling this is gonna be expensive to sort out if I do rotors/pads/tyres at same time :blush: