long haul trip in zed?

austin

Hiya :D

I am yet to take a (very) long drive in my Zed, hence question to those of you who've done it. What sort of average mpg will I be looking at? I'm planning on driving down to Munich, then Milan and back to London, so it would be mostly motorways along with some mountains. Is aiming at ~30mpg being overly optimistic? German autobahns still mostly limit free but generally at reasonable speeds of 70-80-90mph

aus

Haha, i guess it all does come down to speed. It won't be my first - last time I drove to Munich it was in a T5 volvo c30 and not being sluggish at all I still averaged short of 36mpg.. that with doing quite a few miles at 120+. Whats funny with daily driving I notice little difference between said turbo'ed c30 and zed in fuel consumption, hence my question. Probably steadish 80mph is what it will come down to especially as france, holland, belgium, austria, switzerland and italy all have similar speed limits.

thats cool to be assured. With distances I cover in Zed day to day its impossible to guess cause theres not enough steady motorway cruise (that is something i must yet see in the UK lol) and wayy too much London/getting to/going around M25 lol

I drive between 3 and 6 hundred miles most weekends, and its only when I get board and the roads are clear that my MPG drops below 30..

As said before, it depends alot on if you feel 'comfortable' being on a limitless section of the Autobahn with alot of cars passing and not wanting to give her the beans..

It also depends on what mods you have on the car, as there is a few that increases your MPG, and on that note, my Japspeed K1 and Decat Y pipes seem to have done just that for me :D

Good luck, and Enjoy

p.s. remember that there is no need for speed cameras to be either visible or even signposted in alot of European countries (especially Germany)

Will

I used to get 32 mpg on a 350 mile commute but dont do it now as I refuse to class the M11 and M25 as motorways, they look like they have been bombed. :surrender:

yeah i hear ya, suddenly little wonder half of surrey owns SUVs with 2 meter clearance ;)

I drive between 3 and 6 hundred miles most weekends, and its only when I get board and the roads are clear that my MPG drops below 30..

As said before, it depends alot on if you feel 'comfortable' being on a limitless section of the Autobahn with alot of cars passing and not wanting to give her the beans..

It also depends on what mods you have on the car, as there is a few that increases your MPG, and on that note, my Japspeed K1 and Decat Y pipes seem to have done just that for me :D

Good luck, and Enjoy

p.s. remember that there is no need for speed cameras to be either visible or even signposted in alot of European countries (especially Germany)

Will

Yup, thanks for input Will.

I'm no stranger to German driving, in fact this is where I took advanced driving training after coming to Europe. Still think it's the best and most relaxing country to drive - easily prefer to cover 1000km there than 300 here, no offense to anyone.