anyone know about pc to tv/projector resolutions

MadGrip

I've basically got a media pc which I've built with a few SBS 3D movies on it & the PC has 2 video outputs. Im running one to a 3D-XL box, then onto a projector. If i do this, then the sbs 3d works perfectly on the projector, but the 2nd image input, which goes to the tv is too big for the screen i.e. the task bar can only just be seen & some icons are off the tv screen. Now Im pretty sure through trial and error that I cant have 2 different resolutions from the 2 outputs.

If I connect just a single output to a hdmi splitter, then from the splitter on to tv and 3d-XL/ projector, the image fits on both perfectly, but the resolution gets dropped so far that I cant operate the SBS 3D setting for the projector.

hopefully this'll make sense to someone and they csan offer a solution

Cheers

Phil

well if it were a PC outputting from a graphics card like i have set up it outputs through two separate ports and each one can be changed to whatever resolution i need. it sounds like, although you have two ports they are just 1 port that's been split. that would mean there is only one signal being output and hence you can only change both ports to be the same resolution.

Thats a wild stab in the dark :shrug:

yeh, thats the kind of conclusion I was coming to. I can change the resolutions for each output, but as one of them is 1080p/60hz, then for an sbs file it needs to be 720p/120hz I think its struggling a bit. I did try runningg one ouput into a powered hdmi splitter, but still had the same problem,

Thanks for the input so far

Phil

its nvidia 7900GS.

If I cant find a solution I'll just put up with it, as the SBS 3D files look absolutely amazing on the projector.

would nicw to be able to watch the tv stuff I've recoreded on the HTPC through the tv though and not have to put the projector on all the time

I have Nvidia gtx260's and they work fine, both of them.

yours is here

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/page/7900_features.html

and it says

Dual 400MHz RAMDACs

Blazing-fast RAMDACs support dual QXGA displays with ultra-high, ergonomic refresh rates--up to 2048x1536@85Hz.

Dual Dual-link DVI Support

Able to drive two of the industry's largest and highest resolution flat-panel displays up to 2560x1600.

Suggest you head on over to the AVForums, they'll have you sorted :thumbs:

It would seem there is something funny going on in the rendering. Are you sending the same image (ie desktop) to both? I would guess when its doing 3D it wont like another monitor being used.

Also if you run Windows7 you should be able to assign one output as projector and one as monitor, and use Win+P key to swap between them. If you keep only one on at a time that should then work? It will know the native res of each and apply it correctly. It will be with both on that confuses it.

yeh, its the same image I'm sending to both, but only one is on at a time. I'm not really that savvy when it comes to configureing gfx cards. I have been on AVF and am advised on there that there shouldnt be a problem with the way I've connected it all up, which is good to know, but it still dosn't solve the problem

It is win 7 , the outputs are assigned as you mentione, but it still struggles sending the correct resolution to the TV for some reason.