MP CALLS FOR SPEED LIMIT CUT

M13KYF

Read speed limit signs in kilometres, she says

We could all be driving around at 5/8ths of today's speeds, if the daft idea of one MP is adopted. Or maybe not...

MP for Llanelli Nia Griffith wants UK speed signs to be read in kilometres rather than miles, thus cutting the speed limits on all of Britain's roads by nearly half. The aim is to save money -- no new signposts to put up -- and energy, as we'd all drive really slowly. Griffiths also claimed it would make the roads safer.

PistonHeads thinks this is a great idea. Since no-one would obey such a crazy, unpoliceable change in the limit, especially on Britain's safest roads, the motorways, people would travel at the speed at which they find most comfortable.

On most motorways, that settles down to about 90mph. The result would be no more accidents than before, despite officially speeding by twice the limit.

It would provide a concrete demonstration that enforcing fixed speed limits, regardless of the conditions, is truly pointless. Then maybe we could move on towards a more realistic speed limit policy.

Maybe?

article from pistonheads. Also reported in Autoexpress

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default ... ryId=15332

Biggest problem with this that no one seems to have noticed that there is a major problem with the car peolpe are driving. All speedo's display MPH as the main speed. How easy is it to get confused or do we have to squint to see the KPH. Typical politicians :headhurt:

I would cost even more to convert the speedo's than it would cost to change the signs.

reverse thing happened across the pond

i lived in ireland from 2000 till mid 2006 , they changed all the mph speed limits to kph to be inline with the rest of europe (Stoopid idea) funny thing was they just had the limit number not the units so in residential area you would see a red circle with 50 in the middle -thats it -fair to say the whole country was speeding , limits on the motorway said 110- i got stopped by the local gards doing 105mph and insisted that i thought that i was safely below the advertised limit :teeth: - and i got away with it!!!!! :blush:

i told him i had just moved to ireland and i thought it was like the autobahn ;) little did he know that id been there for years!!!

I've often thought that MPs should be fitted with a "jacking point" (like the matrix) where when they have brainwaves like this they could simply be plugged back into reality.

Hopefully at some point in the future somebody is going to be involved in running the country that has an ounce of common sense, is in touch (I'll even settle for slightly) with or has an idea that a real world exists and also has some balls. Sadly I don't think this day will ever come.

Guest prescience

Just another example of the lack of talented people that wish to enter politics given its pi*s poor reputation for anything but knee-jerk reactions.

This isn't thought through on even the most basic level :dry:

Unfortunatley, politicans in the UK just don't understand the basic principle of their job, carrying out the will off the people, as opposed to trying to carry out liberal policies to appease their own mis-guided consience. It's time to change, its time to kick some @rse

Viva La Revolution

Guest prescience
Ah Boris, when I was a Henley boy, Boris came in to the Angel on the Bridge, ask us what needed to change, my brother in law said cheaper stella, Boris took out his pad wrote it down and said very good andbought us all a pint

Top Man

:thumbs:

:thumbs: when were you a henley boy? Is there any photographic evidence which can be used against you?

All burn't due to blackmail possibilities

Henley 1975 - 1994

Southampton 1994 - 1997

Henley 1997 - 2000

Reading 2000 - 2006

thats a long period to be at school :p

I'm just very thick

Is this some kind of dodgy secret society with stoopid hand shakes :wacko: