New camera

jub

Depends on budget and application as mentioned above, eg 10-20 is good if you want wide lanscape type shots but you would need something 300+ to get wildlife shots, and a macro if you wanted close up shots.

be able to better recommend a lens if you let us know your budget and what you want to take :).

2 lenses I have that I mainly use which are highly regarded as very good non-L lenses are the 28-135IS, and the newer 70-300IS USM (not the older 75-300IS). Both can be had for reasonable prices and take very good photos.

Unfortuantely, SLRs dont have good cheap lenses :blush:

Unfortuantely, SLRs dont have good cheap lenses :blush:

They do (e.g. 50mm prime) :teeth:. However, the saying is that out of three (price, optical quality and reliability) you can only have two.

My advice would be the 55-250mm IS which is cheap and quite useful (even if it will probably break down a few years down the line)

Hi all,

I've recently got myself a 550d with the standard 18-55mm lens. Does anyone recommend any particular lens for outdoor use?

Thanks

The standard lens does what it says on the tin, but you are always looking for a good mid range lens, helps in close ups when you cant get too near. There is always a play off with these, graineyness etc. Your local camera clubs are usually helpful in these matters or have a sift around on the user sites (Uk web). Happy snapping and lets see the results. :wave:

How long is a piece of string?

Canon lenses go from £100 to £7,000-£8,000. The lens will pick itself based on what you want to photograph and your budget.

The one important thing to remember is that you'll change the camera every few years but your glass is the most important. Get something 2nd hand off e-bay with a fast aperture and you can't go far wrong. :thumbs:

The one important thing to remember is that you'll change the camera every few years but your glass is the most important. Get something 2nd hand off e-bay with a fast aperture and you can't go far wrong. :thumbs:

+1 - always get the best lense you can afford in its given bracket (zoom, mid range, prime etc). You will regret it otherwise. Also make sure you plump for IS version too, its a life saver ;)