Ghetto Tape Deck Mod - Interference from Lights?!

markjohnson1984

Help!!!

OK, so with my limited electronics skills i managed to install a Ipod cable, even tapped into the power using a guide i found on here.

This worked for a while, but now for some reason the ipod doesn't charge anymore, i think the inline fuse may have gone bang in the + power cable. It plays the music through the speakers fine.

BUT, today on the way to tescos to pick up a choccy gateaux i was listening to the ipod and turned my lights on as it was got dark.... the music then decreased in volume by about half and lots of intereference appeared over the speakers. Turning the lights back off returned the music back to normal with no interference.

So, im hoping one of the electronic gurus on here can give me some advise to whats causing this interference when the lights are turned on and what i can do about it?! Is it related to this possible fuse failure? I know i could replace it and see but thought i'd get some advise before i rip the dash off again :)

PM R35LEE he may able to advise. He's a busy chap though so may take a while to get back to you.

He did a very good install for me into my tape circuit, and have never had any probs.

Bradders.

+1..i remember Lee did say not a good idea to charge your ipod off the car..lots of things could go wrong. I blew 9fuses and the IPPM(expensive). :thumbdown: Lesson learnt..leave it to the pro..don't go too far outside your comfort zone.

whats the IPPM? Did a search and it appears your post above is the only time its been mentioned!

Im thinking taking the charging out of the equation and finding a decent earth point could be my best bet. Shame though, im definately going to forget and leave the iPod in the car and it will run out of charge on a regular basis!

i think the cable being tapped into is a 5v cable supplying the bose. so, as long as the ipod expects 5v you would be fine. can't 100% confirm as i dont have the circuit diagram infront of me.

take a bit of sandpaper and rough up the earth connector and the place surrounding the bolt holding it on to get a good contact patch

whats the IPPM? Did a search and it appears your post above is the only time its been mentioned!

IPPM= intelligent power module..not sure if it's the same as the BCM :shrug:

Im thinking taking the charging out of the equation and finding a decent earth point could be my best bet. Shame though, im definately going to forget and leave the iPod in the car and it will run out of charge on a regular basis!

buy a ipod car charger of ebay ;)