Cold Weather Fuel Consumption

Posidrive

OK, so the Zed is not normally a car that you should drive and worry about fuel consumption. But I use mine for a daily commute of between 60 and 80 miles and since these are not the "fun" trips I like to be reasonably economical.

Last year I noticed that when the really cold weather set in that my normal fuel consumption dropped from about 27 mpg to 20 mpg. Over the past couple of weeks/tank fulls of slightly cooler weather it has dropped to 25 mpg. Is this to be expected or is there something potentially wrong with her. A 10 degree chnage in temperature corresponds to a 3% or so change in mass density of the air, but since the Zed has a temperature gauage (or so the instruments would lead us to believe) surely the engine managment system is able to correct the air mass flow readings for temperature?

You should see an increase in fuel economy in cold weather I believe. The only posibility I can think of is that a combination of needing to be rich mixture on start plus demister/time warming up/more stop-start traffic results in higher consumption. :cold:

I remember driving to Wales a couple of years ago i n my old 182 Clio.

Cruise control set to about 75 knots on the motorway, the temp dropped gradually from 0 degrees to -8. My fuel consumption went down from 42MPG to about 32 definately due solely to the temperature change. Until then I'd never really realised it had such an impact.