Help required for newbie

Chesterfield

Hi folks, I'm new here and must apologise for posting the following questions as I'm sure they've been asked a thousand times before, but I don't seem to be able to access the Garage section of the site.

First question, what's the story with clutches? The dealer advises me that the pedal is stiff and this may mean the clutch needs replacing. At 25k miles that sounds daft to me. Clutch works fine. Warranty people say the clutch isn't covered, even if it's worn out at that mileage. Surely it's not fit for purpose?

Second, brakes. Dealer costs for discs and pads are silly. Are there cheaper ways?

Third question, odd periodic vibration. It kind of goes whirrrrr, quiet, whirrrrr, quiet, whirrrr etc, at speeds of 50mph and above. Dealer says nothing wrong. You feel it through the seat, and it's very quiet. Seems to be coming from the back.

Many thanks for any advice or info.

PS

04 Gunmetal GT, bog standard

clutches: a few stories of early worn clutches, as far as I know noone has managed to get replaced under warranty, but they should have been :(

brakes: lots of aftermarket parts which might as well be BETTER than oem ones. a few examples, Project MU, hawk, ebc pads (lots of view and preferences) and disks like ROTORA, Brembo itself etc etc might as well go for slotted ones if you have to change them

odd periodic vibration..... no idea especially if it comes from the back: could b the exhaust touching somewhere a low speeds, could be tyre feathering if coming from the front wheels (see our forum for known issues)

Guest prescience

Clutch - agree with Val (TheMinel) AFAIK no-one has successfully managed to get replaced under warranty even when the failure was at about 10k miles. If the worst happens, I would recommend NOT replacing with stock but going for a stronger clutch. The JWT clutch and flywheel can be imported for about £500 from the States and feels like stock but it strongerand good for up to about 400 RWhp - so you cover your bases if you go Forced Induction (S/C or TT). This is what I will use.

Brakes - I have some links which I will dig out later for you.

Not sure about the whirring noise.

Well, ebcbrakesdirect.com are quoting much better prices for discs than the dealer. About £50 for plain and £65 for grooved. EBC pads seem to be available for about £50 a set from needforspeed.co.uk.

Compared to the £500+ quote from the dealer for discs and pads, EBC is waaaay cheaper.

How hard is it to DIY disc and pad change?

EBC discs:

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/search/d ... &x=24&y=3#

Guest prescience

Also, I managed to find some information ;) on replacing the stock clutch from NMGB:

New clutch :£310

New flywheel :£1575

Fitting: £260

So the message is, get yourself a stronger clutch (disc and flywheel) for £500 and get NMGB to fit it :p

The JWT combo is also lighter flywheel for faster revving :p

ps I'll do a clutch FAQ sometime :dry:

Also, I managed to find some information ;) on replacing the stock clutch from NMGB:

New clutch :£310

New flywheel :£1575

Fitting: £260

So the message is, get yourself a stronger clutch (disc and flywheel) for £500 and get NMGB to fit it :p

The JWT combo is also lighter flywheel for faster revving :p

ps I'll do a clutch FAQ sometime :dry:

Thanks for the info. Where can I get a JWT clutch?