My first "spirited" overtake....

slimjim

Very sad I know...

but after just over a week of getting used to my first RWD car, I performed my first "spirited" overtake yesterday.

All I can say is.... WOW :drive1

It wasn't dangerous, lots of space and I didn't break the speed limit (well, not too much) but it was the first time I overtook in a space smaller than I would have done in any of my previous cars... and the feeling was amazing.

As I said, for THIS car, there was loads of room. My sometimes nervous passenger was fine with it (actually enjoyed it!) and it made me feel great!

Was on an A-Road I know very well and just judged it all right. Didn't upset the three drivers I was overtaking, or the van coming towards me as I was out and back in again with plenty of time.

Sad? Yes... I know, VERY sad. But just had to share.... :blush:

Feel free to laugh, point and giggle at me :p

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this feeling,its awesome to know how much safer overtaking is now in a powerful car. Makes me smile,but thats after pretty much any drive,i love it to bits. PLus you treat other road users to a beautiful noise that would be otherwise absent from their lives! :lol:

No laughing, pointing or giggling from me.

Now turn the TCS off. ;)

Something tells me that is NEVER coming off.... :lol:

Although I AM interested in having a little bit of a play somewhere with a little drift/tail slide.

Somewhere SAFE... where the mistakes I WILL make wont matter....

Where do people go for something like that? To learn?

(Other than a go-kart track in a go-kart!)

Now turn the TCS off. ;)

Although I AM interested in having a little bit of a play somewhere with a little drift/tail slide.

There seems to be a mis-apprehension that the moment TCS is turned off, the car will spin sideways and explode in a fireball. :drive1

This is not so.

I drive everywhere with the TCS off when it's dry. And I drive fast. I have never "lost" the back end and only spun the wheels once in 12 months. The additional bite, speed and overall "feel" is so much better. Of course if you are a retard and floor the throttle whilst holding the wheel at right-angles you will get problems but I swear, if you go out now and turn it off, you will feel the difference and never go back. :thumbs:

There seems to be a mis-apprehension that the moment TCS is turned off, the car will spin sideways and explode in a fireball. :drive1

This is not so.

I drive everywhere with the TCS off when it's dry. And I drive fast. I have never "lost" the back end and only spun the wheels once in 12 months. The additional bite, speed and overall "feel" is so much better. Of course if you are a retard and floor the throttle whilst holding the wheel at right-angles you will get problems but I swear, if you go out now and turn it off, you will feel the difference and never go back. :thumbs:

I appreciate that Captain. :)

I think that because the FIRST day I had it... I came off a round about, in the wet and was just a little over-enthusiastic.....

The back end twitched slightly, as if to wagg on finger at me and say "Now, I wouldn't do that if I were you" ... Kind of like a girly safety net.

Which I am happy with for now.

I understand what you are saying... just think I need to get used to the way a RWD car works first...

THEN take away the safety net ;)

Now turn the TCS off. ;)

This is not so.

Well saying that my TCS is usually on all the time and even when going full throttle around bends i dont get the TCS kicking in, infact since i changed all 4 tyres over to vredestiens there is not even the slightest hickup when pushing the car :thumbs:

Now turn the TCS off. ;)

This is not so.

Well saying that my TCS is usually on all the time and even when going full throttle around bends i dont get the TCS kicking in, infact since i changed all 4 tyres over to vredestiens there is not even the slightest hickup when pushing the car :thumbs:

Exactly. The 350z is a "point and squirt" car. i.e. drive like your pants are on fire when in a stright line, brake and select right gear when you come to a corner, turn corner with a little throttle and then floor it when clearing the corner. I've also got an MX-5 which is completley different (full throttle nearly all the time and scrub speed off by turning and changing gear) Try that in the Z and it's "hello Jesus!" :byebye:

Exactly. The 350z is a "point and squirt" car. i.e. drive like your pants are on fire when in a stright line, brake and select right gear when you come to a corner, turn corner with a little throttle and then floor it when clearing the corner. I've also got an MX-5 which is completley different (full throttle nearly all the time and scrub speed off by turning and changing gear) Try that in the Z and it's "hello Jesus!" :byebye:

So if the TCS doesnt kick in with a good tyre set up why turn it Off? for those moments you might hit some diesel or wet patches on the road? P.S i often floor my Z half way around a corner and no signs of the back wanting to come out atall? :shrug:

That could be one of my issues....

I have "odd" tires on at the moment... Could be ditch finders I suppose.

They should really be the first thing I change I suppose.

When I say "odd" I mean odd front and rear.

I don't know much about tires. Last time I bought "performance" ones, they were A5120's! :D

Are these any good?

Front:

Vredestien Ultrac - Sessanta

225 - 40 ZR19

Rear:

Avon ZZ3

255/35/R19

(Seem to look like a budget tire?)

Should I replace my rears? Fronts? Both?

So if the TCS doesnt kick in with a good tyre set up why turn it Off? for those moments you might hit some diesel or wet patches on the road? P.S i often floor my Z half way around a corner and no signs of the back wanting to come out atall? :shrug:

im in agreement, since i put the "monsters" on my TC barely ever comes on, infact its dam hard work to get the back tyres to shift in any situation, including the wet. i used to hit the button when i had my nankangs on because it would let go at such a low speed it felt pretty safe, now i have to be going such a stupid speed that if it goes wrong im officially over.

Huge tyres all the way :teeth::teeth:

I don't know much about tires. Last time I bought "performance" ones, they were A5120's! :D

Are these any good?

Front:

225 - 40 ZR19

Rear:

Avon ZZ3

255/35/R19

that could very well be your problem.

put vred's on the back to match and job done :D

check the tread wear at the same time :thumbs:

EDIT:

Front:

225 - 40 ZR19

Rear:

Avon ZZ3

255/35/R19

i only glanced and didnt notice the sizes :blink: what is going on there :wacko: someone shove them in a tyre calc.

Are these any good?

Front:

225 - 40 ZR19

Rear:

Avon ZZ3

255/35/R19

Vredestiens are one of the best tyres you can get for the car... and your wheel sizes you quote there seem to be non stock wheels, what wheels are you running?

There are many cheaper tyres if you dont want to go so expensive for example falken 452's seem to be a favourite on here.

P.S different tyres on the Z are a NO NO i had the same setup before and if you keep odd tyres on your asking for an accident :thumbdown:

If you got Vreds on the front match them up on the back, im telling you they are awesomely good tyres once scrubbed in properly :thumbs:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Nissan/350z.htm

2nd best on that chart, now go and compare the price between then michelins and the vredestiens...

Michelin

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s337p54408

Vredestiens

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s337p12454

Although im not sure about non stock wheels and what tyre sizes you need so not sure if you have the correct rolling radius...

im in agreement, since i put the "monsters" on my TC barely ever comes on, infact its dam hard work to get the back tyres to shift in any situation, including the wet. i used to hit the button when i had my nankangs on because it would let go at such a low speed it felt pretty safe, now i have to be going such a stupid speed that if it goes wrong im officially over.

Huge tyres all the way :teeth::teeth:

+1 & im running more power than you. It was a bit twitchy on damp roads yesterday but with no underrtray or arch liners the front has always felt a bit light

So the Vredestiens are the best?

Vredestiens are one of the best tyres you can get for the car... and your wheel sizes you quote there seem to be non stock wheels, what wheels are you running?

There are many cheaper tyres if you dont want to go so expensive for example falken 452's seem to be a favourite on here.

P.S different tyres on the Z are a NO NO i had the same setup before and if you keep odd tyres on your asking for an accident :thumbdown:

HA HA ... another vote for the Veredestines! :teeth:

The wheels were on here when I bought her.

http://www.madmotors.co.uk/alloy-wheels ... tyres.html

Not exactly my cup of tea.... but I think they look OK on the car.

May change them in the future but for now I am happy to use them.

But it sounds like I need to replace the rear tires!

Maybe I should find an empty car park, turn off the TCS and have a little play with them first, BEFORE swapping them off ;)

Can anyone tell me why they are different sizes front to back?

i.e. the larger 40 on the front?

I presume I should go for 225/40/19's on the rear to match the front?

So the Vredestiens are the best?

HA HA ... another vote for the Veredestines! :teeth:

The wheels were on here when I bought her.

http://www.madmotors.co.uk/alloy-wheels ... tyres.html

Not exactly my cup of tea.... but I think they look OK on the car.

May change them in the future but for now I am happy to use them.

But it sounds like I need to replace the rear tires!

Maybe I should find an empty car park, turn off the TCS and have a little play with them first, BEFORE swapping them off ;)

Can anyone tell me why they are different sizes front to back?

i.e. the larger 40 on the front?

I presume I should go for 225/40/19's on the rear to match the front?

No, im pretty sure the rolling radius on the rear has to be larger than the front

Just go and drive around normally with the TCS off with your current set up.

I bet you that you will feel the car having more bite and feel and nothing untoward will happen.

All this talk of oil etc. is overblown. I've been driving for 30 years, all with sporty RWD cars and never "hit a patch of oil" and come off. This is always used as an excuse when someone gets it wrong and stuffs it in to a ditch. :lol::blush:

I've only ever come off the road once and that was in a 325i (with no TCS) and lost the back end because I was driving too fast round a roundabout. My fault. Not the mysterious "patch of oil".

I bet you that you will feel the car having more bite and feel and nothing untoward will happen.

All this talk of oil etc. is overblown. I've been driving for 30 years, all with sporty RWD cars and never "hit a patch of oil" and come off. This is always used as an excuse when someone gets it wrong and stuffs it in to a ditch. :lol::blush:

I've only ever come off the road once and that was in a 325i (with no TCS) and lost the back end because I was driving too fast round a roundabout. My fault. Not the mysterious "patch of oil".

DO NOT turn off the TCS with odd tyres for the love of god... been there DONE that ... Bad experience

DO NOT turn off the TCS with odd tyres for the love of god... been there DONE that ... Bad experience

Explain? Was it the mysterious "oil patch" or were you just driving too fast for the conditions? Not a criticism (we've all done it) just genuinely interested how you lost it. :thumbs:

Explain? Was it the mysterious "oil patch" or were you just driving too fast for the conditions? Not a criticism (we've all done it) just genuinely interested how you lost it. :thumbs:

:lol: Sorry mate i just meant the car feels really edgy and unstable, for example going around motorway bend at 60mph and having all four corners off the car in the dry wobbling around.

The drive back from the dealers I put my foot down a few times on the 60 mile trip and she wobbled all over the motorway at 100 felt really unsafe!

Basically the car is really unpredictable with MIXED TYRES, and if there is one thing you spend on the Z make sure it is 4 decent tyres all around...

i never spun out mate, i was just pointing out dont turn the TCS off with mixed tyres i think your more likely to spin out...

after experience mixed tyres i will never use a mix on ANY car again.

Dont bother starting a new thread, hit the search button there are plenty of threads to reaed already out there.

Yes the zed has a staggered wheel size front to back.

the stock size is 225/45r18 & 245/45r18 work from that rolling radius in a tyre calculator and figure out wwhat you need. most likely it will be 245 front and 275 back unless the rims you have are exceptionally skinny. have you got a picture so we can have a look at the offset?