Silencing the beast

ballistic

or at least quitening it down a bit

Hi guys, i bought a Zed with APS 3" exhaust and 3.5" decats.... Suffice to say it pretty loud. Was wondering if any one had any experiance or ideas on a good way to make it more quite. I have the OE exhaust with cats etc in garage but i was really thinking about the possibility of adding some mufflers rather than re-fitting the cats.

So any sensible ideas :D

Cheers guys

Buy an exhaust control valve - best of both worlds - you get to keep your decats and the exhaust sounds bad-ass when you want and quieter when you need it to.

I sold one last year off my last Zed - goes between Y pipe and centre section and is controled from the cockpit - Aug08backup034.jpg

Buy an exhaust control valve - best of both worlds....

Nice one, that sounds like a very good idea :thumbs:B) Forgot about those.

One question, im not sure as im a zed newb but isnt the APS dual all the way, this means i will have to fit one to each side?

Any links or recomendations to good ones, tried and tested perhaps?

From what i understand you the more you close the butterfly the more it quitens the exhaust. But the gases still have to flow through the same exhaust so what differance does it reallymake? Also does restricting the flow cause any problems with too much back pressure or anything else.

How did you find them, did they really work well?

Buy an exhaust control valve - best of both worlds....

Nice one, that sounds like a very good idea :thumbs:B) Forgot about those.

One question, im not sure as im a zed newb but isnt the APS dual all the way, this means i will have to fit one to each side?

Any links or recomendations to good ones, tried and tested perhaps?

From what i understand you the more you close the butterfly the more it quitens the exhaust. But the gases still have to flow through the same exhaust so what differance does it reallymake? Also does restricting the flow cause any problems with too much back pressure or anything else.

How did you find them, did they really work well?

Ahh! Didn't realise the APs was true dual - then I guess its two ECV's or hi flow Cats for you unless you know of a company that can add a reasonator to each pipe on the centre sections. Two ECV's would be messy IMO. Surprised you are finding that exhaust all that loud tbh - are the cats straight pipes or the reasonated type?

Restricting the flow of exhaust gas using the ECV will have much the same effect as fitting full cats. Back pressure is probably the most over-hyped and misunderstood element of exhaust speak that I have ever seen on car forums. Suffice to say you don't have to worry about it - as long as the exhaust flows free with minimal restrictions -air comes in fast (& cold) and exits as fast and uninterupted as possible (without going into CFD theories) then you'll have the preferred exhaust design.

I never fitted my ECV to my RSR exhaust as I ended up changing the Zed to another SC Zed but from mates who fitted an ECV they appear to work well.

I agree i think two ecv's might be a mess and also could get expensive if i go electronic.

I think the decats are 3.5" straight pipes as on the APS webstite, i couldnt see any resonators but i havnt had it on the ramps yet so not 100% sure.

TBH the sound is growing on me, its just when cruising at a constant A road or motorway speed they get a bit droany and invasive. Maybe fitting resonators would be a good solution and alot cheaper than high flow cats. The evc is good as its more of a volume control know rather than a permanat muffling.... will see how it goes.

I read up on these and agree with you about the backpressure issue, i mean 2 3rds closed would be for pottering around anyway, so i cant see it having any real negative concequences. And wide open there would be little to no differance.

Any fitment of Cats will hinder the output and spool of the turbo,s alot.

We find that to stop the droan your have to add a couple of large exhaust silencers somewhere , which on a 350Z T/T there isnt a lot of room. Maybe worth looking at having another system made woth a rear silncer like a stock car across the rear of the car and put each bank exhaust into the side the exit on the opposite side.

mark

We find that to stop the droan your have to add a couple of large exhaust silencers somewhere , which on a 350Z T/T there isnt a lot of room. Maybe worth looking at having another system made woth a rear silncer like a stock car across the rear of the car and put each bank exhaust into the side the exit on the opposite side.

mark

Good advice if the OP has a TT set-up but I don't think he has.

mark

Good advice if the OP has a TT set-up but I don't think he has.

His sig says APS TT kit so I think he does :thumbs:

His sig says APS TT kit so I think he does :thumbs:

How the hell did I miss that? When the OP mentioned putting back on the orig Cats and exhaust I just presumed he was NA - why would you consider putting back on OE cats and OE exhaust on such a monster? I would have thought the combination of a true dual and the turbos muffling the sound wouldn't lead to a loud exhaust? My SC set-up with a true dual and decats is way quieter than my previous NA set-up.

We find that to stop the droan your have to add a couple of large exhaust silencers somewhere , which on a 350Z T/T there isnt a lot of room. Maybe worth looking at having another system made woth a rear silncer like a stock car across the rear of the car and put each bank exhaust into the side the exit on the opposite side. :)

mark

Thanks that sounds like a good suggestion, i was not really inclined towards the cats for the same reason, after all we remove them to reduce resricivness. I just want to take the edge of the sound. I might pay yourslef a visit sooner or later for a health check and perhaps some advice.

Steady - I generally agree with you but i was just airing the options, TBH its not my preferance to do anything i dont have to, i think its awesome as is. As i said the noise is only really bothersome when cruising at a steady A road/motorway speed or having to accelerate a little to maintain speed, then there is a lot of drone.

Its probably has alot to the with the combination of 3" true dual and the 3.5" decats. The car is my everyday driver, where as it was the previous owners weekend car. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think i need an exhaust man to look at it, perhaps a combination of resonators/boxes (if theres space) will take the edge of it while retaining the best part. :thumbs:

Yep, i think i will speak to some about adding resonators to the decats and/or adding a box.

Found this article about the tokyo drift 350z which was running the APS TT kit and turbo back exhaust. Seems they used some Magnaflow mufflers to quiten it down.

http://www.insideline.com/nissan/350z/2006/photos/tokyo-drift-test-drift-king-twin-turbo-350z-gallery.html