Calling the sound Gurus

ChrisUUC

Im really tempted to begin getting some decent sound into my zed ...

So what products would you recoemnd for good SQ but on a budget as im concentrating all my savings for wheels and tuning mods ...

IE Components / amp / 10" sub setup ...

But what products and where to buy them?

Many thanks,

Chris

That is very good ... was going to say a rough budget guide line would be 300-350 so thats not to far off ...

Ideally id like Components (Good SQ) ... Good Amp that can run these and a 10" good sub ... not looking huge wattage more SQ and subtle.

Would consider second hand stuff if its in perfect condition.

Ideally double din headunit but that obviously would be in a different budget ... :p

For that money I would not worry about a sub to be honest. I would concentrate on the headunit and front speakers. And cable and sound deadening....

Alpine for the headunit every time for me (unless you are going special with a Nakimichi or a Mackintosh). JL Audio stuff is then probably the reference for entry level all the way up to competition stuff.

But I would Dynamat Xtreme the front doors and the rear surround areas, then put in some JL Audio components on a JL 4 channel amp connected to an Alpine source unit of some sort.

That is written assuming your total budget is £300-£350?

That is very good ... was going to say a rough budget guide line would be 300-350 so thats not to far off ...

Ideally id like Components (Good SQ) ... Good Amp that can run these and a 10" good sub ... not looking huge wattage more SQ and subtle.

Would consider second hand stuff if its in perfect condition.

Ideally double din headunit but that obviously would be in a different budget ... :p

For the Money the stuff that i've posted is top notch, it's all well matched and will give good SQ

Im really tempted to begin getting some decent sound into my zed ...

So what products would you recoemnd for good SQ but on a budget as im concentrating all my savings for wheels and tuning mods ...

IE Components / amp / 10" sub setup ...

But what products and where to buy them?

Many thanks,

Chris

Get on TA and buy all your stuff second hand. Will be very very good stuff if you shop around.

Dynamat? 350z is heavy enough mate

Then no point putting decent equipment in..... ;)

People make the car far heavier with modified wheels / brakes / exhausts / rubbish than a couple of rolls of Dynamat will.... :)

Dynamat? 350z is heavy enough mate

Then no point putting decent equipment in..... ;)

People make the car far heavier with modified wheels / brakes / exhausts / rubbish than a couple of rolls of Dynamat will.... :)

Couple of rolls id understand, but I've seen people coat the entire inner shell with it!

Where do you get dynamat from cheap?

TA excuse my ignorance but whats that?

ill maybe shop around and sewe what I can get out there second hand.

Talkaudio. Also dynamats ok but on TA there is a guy called loudboy ask him for some 2.5mm foil backed deadening. Much better cheaper too.

Come on guys, you buy a top of the range car and you're going to bodge a sound system in by cutting corners from the off??? :wacko:

Dynamat Xtreme is a lot lighter than the standard stuff and has better deadening properties than the standard stuff too. Thinner as well.

As for people doing the whole shell Maz, I reckon you could do that and keep the Rays on a standard car and kerb weight would be the same. I know my 19's are probably 50% heavier than my Rays are!

Have to say I am agreeing here with H5 ... I think my budget being as lowish as it is I may just go down the road of awesome components and a good amp and then sound deaden certain areas ...

Maybe buy a sub later in the game ... :p

Hertz comps I assume would be top notch? Same as MTX brand?

Would anyone care to link em up with some good comps and amps that I could look at?

Have to say I am agreeing here with H5 ... I think my budget being as lowish as it is I may just go down the road of awesome components and a good amp and then sound deaden certain areas ...

Maybe buy a sub later in the game ... :p

Hertz comps I assume would be top notch? Same as MTX brand?

Would anyone care to link em up with some good comps and amps that I could look at?

stay away from fli and the likes. Expensive or "better" speakers arent always better. E.g. In my first car I ran Mb quart preimums and they sounded awesome. For my clio I ran Infinty Perfects which where more expensive but I didnt like the sound they gave out. It was very detailed but a little harsh and strile.

If you buy second hand then you will have enough for a sub. Also you only need to sound deaden the doors really IMO.

Is it not also just important to actually set your system up properly? I believe ikarus (i think) posted before regarding downloading a frequency sound CD from the internet and tweaking your system to the right levels in order to actually get the best out of it?

Like you say dblock, I've seen lots of nice expensive set up's but some of them have sounded crap because the owners think you just wire it up and blair away.

for that budget id prob either cut back a little on the comps/ go used and either save the little left to get a sub later OR stretch the budget a bit and get a cheapish sub. tbh most £80-100 are going to be good enough as long as the box is rght and the power is clean so dont scrimp on the amp or the rest is just a waste.

Treated myself tonight to some sounds ...

(1) MTX Roadthunder RTS652 Comps

(2) Alpine PMX-F640 Amp

(3) JL Audio 10WX Sub

Next up ...

Sound Deadning

4 Gauge Wiring Kit

Install im going for will be something similar to this with the help of a friend ...

Build.jpg

Comments welcome on the products but I feel they will all work very well for a simple build.

Chris

Agree with all of H5 comments. For those saying "Oh don't put more weight in the car" lets put this into proportion. The weight you are putting into the car is a FRACTION of the weight of a person. I presume none of you ever take a passenger because that will really screw with the performance!

Spend your money on quality equiptment and get those doors sound-deadened as the metal is fairly flimsy. I was amased how soft they were and what a difference dynamating them made. Spen the money on front speakers. Don't worry about the rear ones for now. You will get a much better sound by getting good front speakers than agerage in front & back.

Agree with all of H5 comments. For those saying "Oh don't put more weight in the car" lets put this into proportion. The weight you are putting into the car is a FRACTION of the weight of a person. I presume none of you ever take a passenger because that will really screw with the performance!

Spend your money on quality equiptment and get those doors sound-deadened as the metal is fairly flimsy. I was amased how soft they were and what a difference dynamating them made. Spen the money on front speakers. Don't worry about the rear ones for now. You will get a much better sound by getting good front speakers than agerage in front & back.

Doing the doors, boot, and cavity can easily add 50+kg to the car, that's going on an estimate of 20 odd sheets of it. So its the weight of an extra female in the car, but then you have the added weight of the passenger as well if you carry one, which all adds up to extra weight in an already heavy sports car. I'm not arguing that the odd sheet on the door's is bad.

It's just extra weight that will probably be disregarded in a few months when folk are looking at exhausts and air filters to scrape a couple bhp back because their cars too slow.

Going by the stats of letstorquebhp.com, the 350z weight is 1525kg, adding 50kg will reduce your bhp/ton from 183bhp to 178bhp.

Small difference sure, but it's not insignificant on a sports car.

Pretty sure I used 15 or less sheets and which weight around 800g so that actually 15kg which is small. You can loose that on a diet lol.

You also don't have to plaster a panel in dynamat to make it effective just placing strips in the right places is virtually as effective with a much better coverage per roll

** Need help now with something else **

Kenwood DDX 7029 is coming up cheap and im in the motion of buying it for the zed as they are good units ...

Ive got a 2008 350z non bose ...

Need a list of what I need to convert this over also taking into account ill be getting aftermarket comps and a sub/amp.

Where do I get the fascia etc from and also the ISO connectors suited to my car and the module to convert the headunit over to my steering wheel controls ...

Many thanks in advance ... also if theres traders on here that do the lot let yourself be known :p

Thanks, Chris