Engine Management Light Panic!

TheGreasyWeasel

A while back just before my Z had her 36,000 T3 service the engine management light came on, not flashing just on. I called out the AA who plugged in their computer and it read back as no fault code listed, so they reset it.

Service completed and a month later, Thursday just gone, the same light came on. AA called and again no fault code so just reset. I then drive off for a weekend in Wales and sunday afternoon there it is again whilst performing a slow U-turn.

WTF could it be? Will Nissan be able to tell me anything more if I take it to them to check it out? Are there any plug in computers I can buy to reset the fault code myself?

Any advice welcome.

Weasel.

Right then. After a first bit of confusion I reset the ECU and 150 miles later it's come back on, but this time I've sorted the codes! 1166 and 1167 both coming back as 'O2 sensor 2'. any ideas what that means, and is it now a trip to Nissan or is this just a faulty sensor I can fix myself?

Cheers guys.

• 5 months later...

Was panicking on the phone earlier. I've reset the ECU and made it about half a mile further down the road.

I got 1166 & 1167 together which indicates that the Heated O2 Sensor 2 has issues but after the reset the car sounded a lot better and seemed absolutely fine on the short drive.

Should I be worried? How expensive are these sensors to replace and how hard is it to do? I have no idea where this thing sits and how hard it is to get to it and whether these codes could mean anything else being wrong.

I'm no expert on these fault codes, but from past cars I think if an O2 sensor is failing then it sends bad information which affects the fueling trim and makes the car run rough (esp. on idle). Clearing the fault code may reset the fuel trim value and make it run ok until sensor goes out of range again.

The sensors are by the cats, may well be stubborn to remove if it's rusted in. A faulty cat would be a lot more expensive! Might also be an air leak somewhere?

first thing to check might be the electrical connectors to the O2 sensors on the cats, see if they are in good condition or if contacts need cleaning?

Will see if it comes back. It may well be that my second exhaust has cracked somewhere which would be annoying, but at least it's not as bad as it originally sounded when I heard the engine running rough! I'll see if I can get half an hour at lunch to have a look at it in the daylight tomorrow. Thanks!