Ghetto mp3 iPhone and Bose- electronics guru advic

SteveW

Right I've been trying to get the Bose mp3 mod to work with my 3G iPhone with no success. Basic issue is same as everyone else the phone won't detect it is connected so won't play through the speakers. I've been doing some investigation and not being an electronics guy I have no idea what my results mean so I hope someone can help all us iPhone 3G users out!

Right first up I've checked the unit with another mp3 player and my ghetto mod and all is good. The iPhone won't work. So first up I disconnected the earth thinking it might be a bad earth, instantly the phone recognised it was connected to a headphone socket and sound came through the car, very bad quality because of no earth. I then touched the earth wire onto the earth music continued to play with v good quality for about ten seconds then phone stopped recognising it was connected and stopped playing. Ad soon as earth wire is removed from earth point it recognises it is connected to a headphone line again.

Next step I tried a different non stereo earth, got the same problem. So I then connected my multimeter between the earth wire and stereo body, there is a voltage of 4.5volts here and if I check current flow 2.5 mili amps. If I do the same when music is playing I get 4.5volts again but 18.4 mili amps. This happens with any earth point I try.

It appears the iPhone does not like something to do with theatth cable. Can any electronics gurus help? I'm a mechanical engineer and electronics are as alien as women to me.....

How are you connecting the iPhone ? I'm assuming you have just created an RCA input for the Bose and then connected the iPhone to this with iPhone audio out cable to the dock on the iPhone . If that's the case you either have an old RCA out cable ( sounds like that's the prob ) as apple changed the wiring but made the cables work and the iPhone detects it's an old cable and shuts the audio off ! You can checkbthis if you have an older iPod about . Easyesr fix is just use the headphone out instead as the cable is alot cheaper since it's just generic RCA to headphone.

Yes sorry helps if I actually say how it's connected doesn't it. I'm connecting via the headphone port on the iPhone. I bought a cable with a3.5mm head phone jack to 2 phono/RCA connectors. I cut off the RCA plugs twisted the earths together and soldered the left and right sound channels to the relevant connections inside the Bose. I had originally soldered the earth to the earth point inside the Bose ( as described in many of the ghetto mp3 mod guides) but I have now de soldered the earth for the investigation

Thank you

PM Lee(R35LEE)..i remember him saying that the ghetto DIY ipod mod tape deck hack doesn't work for iphone or ipod touch :shrug: I tried the new 5th generation ipod nano and it won't even recognised that :wacko: Ended up flogging it on ebay and got myself a second hand 2nd generation ipod nano which works perfectly :teeth:

PM Lee(R35LEE)..i remember him saying that the ghetto DIY ipod mod tape deck hack doesn't work for iphone or ipod touch :shrug: I tried the new 5th generation ipod nano and it won't even recognised that :wacko: Ended up flogging it on ebay and got myself a second hand 2nd generation ipod nano which works perfectly :teeth:

Thanks mate, maybe thats what I need to do then.

I'll drop R35LEE a PM and see if he can confirm, tis bloody annoying!

Cheers

Iphones with the 3g does not work period BUT the new iphone 4 and the newer software 4 on your older 3G will work perfectly.

Happy Days :thumbs:

Hi mate,

I have the newest software on my 3G and it still doesn't work, unfortunately.

Stupid phone!

Cheers

Steve