Machine polish Q

andlid

Hey,

Got a new car the other day and it's BLACK we all know that black is the best colour for getting that deep deep shine when you do a proper job! Now about that, there was a few deep and I mean deep scratches on the car going from the hood up on the roof and then onto the boot (something that I think had been gotten from a car wash guide wheel with dirt on it :scare: )

SO!

I got to work with cleaning the car, wash followed by claybar and then onto using the polisher. I had bought some Sonus SFX-1 - Swirl and Scratch Remover Pad with Sonus SFX-1 Restore Polish followed by Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polishing Pad using Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polish followed by 3 layers of Meguiars wax... 6 1/2 hours later I was 'finished' The front scratch is hardly visible if you don't know where to look and here comes the Q:

I did about 20 odd passes with about 3-4 of polish and buffing, I started to get a bit worried on how much the paint would actually take. Is the Sonus stuff not very harsh on the paint? Thought I'd do one pass with the restore polish and be done with the swirls...but not so I'm going to revisit the scratch thats going from the hood onto the roof and ending at the boot but wondering if I should use something more abrasive to not have to do SO many passes...the car looks like a minter now but if you look properly you can see some swirls still... I'm still happy with the work but wondering if I can actually get rid of the scratch 100%, I've been told if you can't actually feel the scratch with your nail (getting stuck) you'd be able to correct it. Is that true?

SNV35465.JPG

SNV35484.JPG

Note, this is the first time ever using a machine. Have to say it was hard work... but well worth it in the end, I also didn't bother with the masking tejp. Didnt see why I needed it...

A :evil:

If you're nail catches it you're unlikely to ge rid of it.

My neighbours 911 had a deep 1 inch scratch on it. I rounded the edges on it and now you can only see it when level with the leading edge of the bonnet. On a 911 this would only happens if he has run you over....

Best to round the edges and use Poorboys Black hole to help with the last of the light swirls.

Very B) mate............... :thumbs:

:teeth:

If you're nail catches it you're unlikely to ge rid of it.

My neighbours 911 had a deep 1 inch scratch on it. I rounded the edges on it and now you can only see it when level with the leading edge of the bonnet. On a 911 this would only happens if he has run you over....

Best to round the edges and use Poorboys Black hole to help with the last of the light swirls.

So there is hope since I cant :D Whats the story about the different types of polish restorers then?

Different polishes and different pads from different manufacturers are all different.

The same polish on a different pad can behave differently.

Sort out a few sections of the car and try different combos to see what works.

It's a good idea to use a scrap panel for this if you can to be honest.

Have a play!

See this chart to see what I mean. http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Polish_Chart.aspx

Different polishes and different pads from different manufacturers are all different.

Have a play!

:teeth: Neighbours ford focus could be a good scrap panel!

So I shouldn't mix pads and polish? :scare:

Have a play!

You can mix pads and polish but know what effect it'll have. You can adjust up to the cut required in steps. Pad and polish.

Have a play!

You can mix pads and polish but know what effect it'll have. You can adjust up to the cut required in steps. Pad and polish.

will deffo not be doing this on my car... neighbours ford looks like a good test cube :evil: