Air Con not working!!

-Chris-

All,

I posted this on another thread that was talking about the musty smell however after a very useful post from Neilp i thought in needed its own thread.

My post:

I've noticed recently that everytime i use the car ther e is very odd smell although i always leave my aircon on.. However today it seems to have stopped working and is just blowing out warm air.

I guess the smell could be a symptom of the aircon not working but any idea's where i should looking to fix it....

Fuse?

Needs Gas?

??

Cheers,

Chris

Neilp's reply (Thanks!)

Could be the compressor, could be short of gas. If it's the latter then it generally means there is a leak. This isn't a home repair job. Sit with car idling and press the ac on, your revs should changed. This will indicate a gas shortage as the compressor is kicking in. In the unlikely event of the compressor head failing this will still happen but it is rare. If the ac has a gas leak you may find an oily substance laying under the car or around the ac pipework or coil. Have a look around. I would highly recommend taking it to a car a/c engineer or any a/c engineers you know.

So out i went to test this. Engine on and Air Con off - Rev's at 750rpm. Turn the Air Con on and there is no change at all - still at 750rpm. :scare:

So i guess this means that the compressor isn't kicking in..? I've checked the belt hasn't snapped and i've looked for a fuse but not found one. I'm going to get it looked at next week but does anyone have any suggestions in the mean time?

May also be wise for me to ask if anyone can recommend a A/C engineer in the North West.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks to all those who have posted so far.

Booked the car in for a re-gas and and the worst was confirmed - there is a leak and a new a/c compressor is required. Been quote a price by Nissan Chorley and it's not cheap!

I'm between jobs for the next month so time is on my side which leads to the next 2 questions

1, If anyone sells A/C compressors please could you pm me a price (ZMANALEX, R35LEE etc).

2, Is this a job an amateur could do (aka me!)? Obviously it would still need to be re-gassed by a pro after replacing the compressor but does anyone know how difficult this would be? I have done servicing and brakes etc in the past but have not really attempted anything like this in many years.

Chris

Booked the car in for a re-gas and and the worst was confirmed - there is a leak and a new a/c compressor is required. Been quote a price by Nissan Chorley and it's not cheap!

How much out of interest?