Two immobilisers?

tonyc350

Hi,

I am looking at an Import 350z at the moment but had a question I hope people may be able to answer.

The car had the standard keys and a cobra alarm fob that locked/unlocked the car - but it had two immobilisers, there was one to the right of the steering wheel and one on the steering wheel column - both of these had to be disabled before starting the car......is this because the standard immobiliser had been left on as well as the new cobra one? or is something wrong?

Thanks

Tony

Usually with the JDMs you have to upgrade the alarm system to satisy the insurance company (well I had to anyway). Mine came with a cobra alarm fob that I had to touch to just below the steering wheel. If they have had it upgraded and added another one that maybe why it has two. :thumbs:

As far as I am aware all imports have to have 1 immobiliser when entering the country for insurance purposes, but never heard of a zed having two. Mine is situated on the right hand side above where the petrol cap opener is :thumbs:

Not quite sure what you mean.......its correct they have to have a thatcham 1 alarm fitted for insurance here. Mine has a cobra which consists of a fob with one large and one small circle that you press. The large one does everything and i don't use the key fob at all. The small circle sets the alarm off. There is also a little stick thing and a corresponding little hole in the lower dash. For ages after i bought the car I was putting the little stick thing into the hole to reset it as it imobilises itself if you don't start the car within a short space of time. Then i was told that all i actually had to do was press the big button again while the keys are in the ignition so no more stick poking! I think the stick thing is actually in case something happens to the fob or battery - like an override thing.