Power steering fluid low...

kevlo

Hi Guys and girls, can anyone help i was checking my fluid levels before we took the z out for a long drive and noticed that my power steering fluid was below cold min (the car was cold not been used for 24hours)

is this anything to worry about? how do i fill it up and what with (i.e where to buy the fluid from)?

Hi Guys and girls, can anyone help i was checking my fluid levels before we took the z out for a long drive and noticed that my power steering fluid was below cold min (the car was cold not been used for 24hours)

is this anything to worry about? how do i fill it up and what with (i.e where to buy the fluid from)?

It depends :p

Has this been a trend? when did you last check it?

Have you check where the car was parked for signs of leak? The common area is at the connections to the PS cooler which is on the passenger side of the bumper.

If there is no obvious leaks then it would most likely be trickling from the any of the joints in the PS system. You will have to inspect from the underside.

To top up you need the OEM ATF fluid which is a dexron II i believe or you drain the whole thing a fill up with fresh Dexron II or III fluid eg Motul etc.

It will be Ok to drive reasonably before you get to change it but if it starts whirring away or jerk o0r become heavy then its too loo or the is air in the system which means its no longer safe to continue ;)

Where are you based? i had the same thing a couple of weeks back and zmanalex sorted me out with some, if your local to me ill give you a bit i only needed a small amount

ive only had the car for 5 days so it may have been low when i bought it. is there any checks i can do or should i just fill it up and see how i get on?

p.s the car was on a slope when i checked it with the boot being lower than the bonnet if that makes sense (i.e the car facing uphill)