Cleaned the throttle body today

Gervais

Thought i would whip the throttle body off today as I thought it has probably never been done and i think i was right!

IMG00040201005301545.jpg

IMG00039201005301544.jpg

IMG00041201005301545.jpg

Very very dirty! Cleaned the throttle body and the inside of the inlet where it attaches.

and here it is nice and clean B)

IMG00042201005301610.jpg

Did all of the resets aswell and it seems to idle better, not driven it since though so cannot comment on whether it drives smoother yet.

I was as surprised as you are :lol:

Yeah I Did all of the reset procedures after :thumbs:

I check the oil and all fluids weekly and nothing has dropped since the last service (about 3k ago) And has the standard air box and a nissan filter(very clean so not very old).

Going to see how it goes for the next 1k miles or so and see whether I should fit a catch can. Are they easy to fit?

I was as surprised as you are :lol:

Yeah I Did all of the reset procedures after :thumbs:

I check the oil and all fluids weekly and nothing has dropped since the last service (about 3k ago) And has the standard air box and a nissan filter(very clean so not very old).

Going to see how it goes for the next 1k miles or so and see whether I should fit a catch can. Are they easy to fit?

yeah the oil can are easy to fit depending what one you go for I suposse... you must be getting oil in from somewhere, mine is 65k (km) and it's never looked that dirty and don't think that it was ever cleaned before I did... if it's not dirt from the intake you must be sucking in oil from the little tube half way down the intake pipe (under neath) what does the inside of your intake look like? :blink:

Car definately seems smoother to drive which is good.

Surprisingly the inside of the plenum didnt look too bad from what i could see, there was only a little bit of gunk where it connects to the throttle body, may whip the top of the plenum off this weekend depending on the weather and have a look around.

I think the reason the throttle body gets more gunk on it is down to the full throttle breather (the large bore one that comes from the back of the cam cover into the induction tube) is as implied, draws oil vapour though at high RPM when there is more oil vapour,and due to the high velocity in the intake gets drawn in and meets the throttle flap as the only restriction.

I have been looking into the breathers and am now wondering about using the catch can that i have on the other breather ( low rpm as this is subject to high engine vacuum only at idle and low RPM) and so is not drawing much oil though at higher RPM due to less depression in the plenum, so i think the catch can would be of more use on this one.

I think the reason the throttle body gets more gunk on it is down to the full throttle breather (the large bore one that comes from the back of the cam cover into the induction tube) is as implied, draws oil vapour though at high RPM when there is more oil vapour,and due to the high velocity in the intake gets drawn in and meets the throttle flap as the only restriction.

I have been looking into the breathers and am now wondering about using the catch can that i have on the other breather ( low rpm as this is subject to high engine vacuum only at idle and low RPM) and so is not drawing much oil though at higher RPM due to less depression in the plenum, so i think the catch can would be of more use on this one.

This one does both:

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model=350z&cat=engine&prodid=1358

Or if thats a bit to pricey (it is for me) then why not make one yourself?

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Build_your_own_Oil_Catch_Can

I got a universal one on ebay one but not on the breather side think I'll get that sorted though since I suspect more going in from that breather hose...

The one I'm using is a cheap ebay item, seems fine, i may just swap it over to the other breather, as the current one doesn't seem to take any oil, failing that use two, there are plenty to choose from.

Be interesting to see if changing the breather results in more oil.

The one I'm using is a cheap ebay item, seems fine, i may just swap it over to the other breather, as the current one doesn't seem to take any oil, failing that use two, there are plenty to choose from.

Be interesting to see if changing the breather results in more oil.

right you try this first and let me know :D

I know I wasn't impressed! :lol:

I was looking at those ones aswell, you'll have to let me know what it's like when you get it :teeth:

No worries dude, just think how much oil vapour is getting sucked in with the fuel and air....this could all be A/F if the oil problem is resolved and you'll get an extra 40000bhp lol...or maybe just a cleaer engine lol.. :teeth:

Alex