Malfunction Indicator

Nemmeh

Hi all - My first post so hi to all, have been reading alot on here, must say - very helpful stuff going on!

Ok so I hope someone can help/give some advice on this - I bought a 350z 2 months ago (54 reg), loving it so far... but however I discovered after buying it that the exhaust had a crack in it, on the join which connects to the backbox part... My fault for not spotting it when I bought it I suppose! :(

Yesterday, I decided to temporarily fix it with some "GUN GUM" from Halfords before I buy a decent exhaust system - It's done the trick and sealed it however about 2 minutes down the road a Malfunction Indicator light has come up on the dash board - is this coincidental do you think? Is there a sensor for pressure in the exhaust system? This is the first time it's come on and I've had no problems at all since buying it.

I know I'll have to go get this checked at NISSAN, but a heads up would be good, I'm quite worried about it.

P.s. it's on STEADY not BLINKING so it's not a misfire as the manual says... I've done all the research I could via google/forums etc.

I was thinking about resetting the ECU tonight and seeing if it would stay off?!

Thanks alot in advance!

Welcome along :wave:

That CEL will have nothing to do with your repair, as there's no sensors that far back. Unless of course you used so much gum you blocked the entire exhaust, but then you'd have bigger issues ;)

Check the guides section for how to read the code before wiping.

Ok thanks - I just wanted to ask because it seemed too coincidental that it happened almost instantly...1 mile up the road after I'd finished doing it...

There is a way to find out the problem manually without taking it to a garage then?

common issue with exhaust breaking at the point you outlined. You can get it welded or the perfect opportunity to get a aftermarket item or if you prefer the sound of the OEM I'm sure there are a few second hand ones around here of members or pm ZMANALEX or R35LEE for one.

:welcome:

Hi.. :welcome: Hopefully all u need is to reset the ECU. Otherwise it might be the O2 oxygen sensors. Mine was constantly on when i had mine..end up replacing the cats and all the O2 sensors..did the trick. The CEL lights has stayed off since :thumbs:

Ok thanks - I will reset the ECU / Check the error code later and post the results - Thanks for the information, helpful :)

I hope it's not the CATS? I've heard they are really expensive?!?!

I want to get a completely new exhaust system which isn't ridiculously expensive at some point - Cash is a bit tight right now, so I'll just have to live with it and hope this problem isn't too serious.... Fingers crossed.

If you ever need any pre-owned parts or advice about Zeds, PM R35LEE or ZMANALEX..there is very little that the two of them don't know about..they are like Zed God :lol: If your car is out of warranty, not worth going to the Nissan stealer for parts..too expensive and they don't actually know the Zed well enough. And customer service is appaling. Have a look in the search area and find out where your nearest good independent garages are. They could sort u out for a fraction of the price that u pay at the Nissan "stealer".

Just a quick update, and thanks for all the replies...

Last night I managed to get the ECU diagnostic going and got the code P1147 Heated O2 Sensor 2 - So I am assuming the problem was just that it got too hot from the Putty applied - It's stayed off since I reset it when I drove to work today, so I am guessing problem solved!

Hopefully it stays that way until I get a new system on there

Relief! :lol:

Does anyone know exactly where that sensor would be located on the car? (For reference)