Event Tyres

350ash

I've had four new Falkens fitted by event tyres today, I know a couple of people on here have had bad experiences with them but I was very pleased with the service.

I'd arranged for them to be fitted this afternoon, got a call in the morning to check 3-4pm would be ok, they arrived at about 3.30 and it was all finished by 4.00.

I could have got the tyres a bit cheaper from Camskill but after you add delivery and fitting it would have worked out almost the same and it was a lot more convenient for someone to come round a do it whilst the car's parked up outside.

The fitter, Dave, was also interested in the zed and asked if I was thinking of changing the nissan badges for zed badges as he'd seen a few like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgive me posting this again but I think anyone proposing to use these guys should see both sides.

I've had Event Tyres out today to fit some Toyos to a brand new set of Rota Boost that I've bought. They turned up fine this time on the appointed day and took about 30-40 mins to do the job. I went out to inspect the job and found that they had scored the rim of one pretty much a third of the way round. I pointed this out to the lad who said he hadn't noticed. He told me that they would repair the wheel for me, maybe with touch up paint. I pointed out that this was a significant scrape and touch up paint wouldn't be appropriate. He took some photos on his mobile and MMS'd them to his boss.

At this point I carried the old wheels into my office with no offer of assistance. When I came back he told me that the office would call me to sort out the wheel and asked me to pay. I told him that there was no way that I would pay until the job was finished and I was happy with the job on the damaged rim. I was told he wouldn't leave me with the new tyres, so I invited him to remove them again and refit the original wheels. At this point he clearly found it prudent to call the office.

He came back shortly to advise that he could remove the damaged rim and replace it with one of the OEM alloys whilst he took it to be refurbed but couldn't say how long it would take. I told him that there was no way that I would drive round for an indefinite period with 3 anthracite wheels and a silver one. This didn't move him so I pointed out that this was manifestly unsafe as the OEM wheel was fitted with not only a different make tyre but of a different size. To this is retorted that it was just like a space saver! I left him under no illusion that I would be limping around like I had a space saver on whilst they sorted their f**k up.

I then demanded to speak to the office again, pointing out that I wanted someone to come and repair the wheel at my convenience at the office and that I had every right to get them to take all the tyres off and sue them for a brand new wheel. Thereafter followed an exchange where I pointed out that whilst a repaired wheel may be "like new", the wheel I had given to them only half an hour previously was new! I was told that their mobile refurber could not do coloured wheels and it would have to go to National Tyres in Widnes. Now I have heard of these guys and M13KYF has been pleased with the job they did for him so I eventually agreed that they would put all 4 OEM rims back on and take the damaged rim away. The lad was most miffed when I suggested that he rather than I would have to go and retrieve them from my office but did at least put the 3 Rotas and tyres inside when he'd finished and disappeared without asking me for any cash.

When I will see my damaged rim again is anyone's guess. I will certainly want to see the job with the tyre off to check its been done correctly.

The above is all factual and witnessed by my fellow tenants from the office. Make your own minds up whether you want to use these guys. To be entirely fair I will update the thread when I get the wheel back.

Like many of these things its down to the man who turns up as to how good they are. Chips Away are exactly the same. My old local one was fab, I get on with the couple that used to run it and now they do alloy repairs and what not as the guy who did it hurt his back so cant do car paint work any more but can do wheels fine. However, I have heard stories of other Chips Away that are mortifying. I guess you dont really know what they will be like until you try them though. I for one only use MyAlloys for my wheel/tyre work now as I know they take more love and care of them than I do!

Like many of these things its down to the man who turns up as to how good they are. Chips Away are exactly the same. My old local one was fab, I get on with the couple that used to run it and now they do alloy repairs and what not as the guy who did it hurt his back so cant do car paint work any more but can do wheels fine. However, I have heard stories of other Chips Away that are mortifying. I guess you dont really know what they will be like until you try them though. I for one only use MyAlloys for my wheel/tyre work now as I know they take more love and care of them than I do!

True but AFAIK Chips Away is a franchise whereas Event should have greater responsibility for their employees.

To bring the story to conclusion, they didn't ring me as promised on Thursday but did return with the wheel yesterday. National Wheels in Widnes have done a decent job and they knocked a rather paltry £20 quid off. The fitter was a different one and he seemed fine. He did let slip that the other fitter was "not new" but "just coming back to fitting tyres".... :dry:

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the reviews I decided to take the plunge and booked event tires to fit Falkens 452's all round,

guy was round this morning at 0800 as asked and called up 15 min before hand.

Only took him 45 mins and did a very good job, left the alloys spotless and used hidden weights without being asked

would def recommend them again. Cost me £466 for all 4 452's fitting, balancing etc, very good considering I needed them by the weekend for a long drive ahead of me.

I must say, soo much better then the RE040's that were on it and much less tyre noise