Ferodo DS2500's and Motul RBF600

bernmc

I changed my brake pads from the OEM tat to DS2500's this week.

Funnily enough, the rear pads are exactly the same as the ones on my VR4 (Mitsi EVO VI). Cost me 60 quid inc delivery with club discount on another forum. Fronts were 85 (again inc delivery). I wondered why they were so much cheaper than my VR4's front pads (140 quid :scare: ).

Here's a pic - top is the VR$/EVO front pad, next is the 350Z DS2500 pad, and finally the OEM brembo pad.

350zbrakepads.jpg

The EVO pad is quite a bit bigger, and thicker as well. Still... nearly double the price... taking the p a bit methinx.

If you look closely at the OEM rubbish, you'll see that the edges are chamfered - a little trick to try to eliminate squeal. I think that the diagonal groove might be for the same reason.

I changed the OEM brakefluid to RBF 600 at the same time. I'd recommend one of these vizibleed kits if you're a lone ranger like me - It's got a little ball valve in the end of the pipe, so no need to worry about under fluid seals, loosening and tightening bleed nuts etc. You just attach, secure, and pump the brake pedal until you see the new fluid coming through. If you're alone, just means you have to run around to check the fluid every 3 or 4 pumps on the brake pedal.

vizibleed.jpg

vizibleedvalve.jpg

Took me a couple of hours all in - piece of cake to do the pads - top marks to brembo as usual for caliper design! Most tedious bit is taking the wheels off.

If you pump the brake fluid resevoir almost empty before adding new fluid, you'll need much less than a litre to flush the system.

Went out in the evening to bed the pads in - very aggressive for DS2500's. 25-30 4 second stops at 50% 'race' pressure. Discs should be blue with the heat by the time you're done. Got some worried looks from motorists as I pulled over to check - lots of smoke!

I'd been out with my G-tech earlier in the day to do some stopping distances. With the standard pads, I was getting between 116 and 130 feet. (Mostly around 116, thank goodness!)

I did two quick stops with the DS2500's - didn't want to do too much as I'd already subjected them to a bit of a beating...

1st stop: 114 feet

2nd stop 112 feet.

So what's 2-4 feet you say eh...? The difference between a live child and a dead child? The difference between you looking at the end of your engine, and the engine sitting in your chest...?

Would love to be able to change my own brakes and fluids etc, but i have a serious lack of technical knowledge and would be scared of wrecking something :)

Do it once with someone from the club helping, and you'll be able to do it forever more.... It's very easy on the Z!