Bad earth?

kazman

Hi all

fitted a new hu about a month ago. Today I noticed that there is a click coming from the front right speaker whenever I press the brake pedal. Would I be right in thinking this is an earth issue?

I have not got the additional earth spliced in to my loom (I believe this is supposed to be fitted behind a metal plate)?

Is this likely to be the case, or would the lack of that earth lead being the problem lead to the whole system not powering up?

I had not noticed this sound until today so I'm fairly sure it has not done it since I installed it a month ago. The reason the extra lead is not in it is because I bought the set up 2nd hand, and the seller did not require it. When it all powered up ok I assumed I was ok too!

Cheers.

It already had the ground modification done in the iso loom to Bose adapter, just not the additional take off ground with the ring connector crimped on. The click is there no matter how I fade the speakers etc or if the volume is down to zero. It only goes away if I turn the hu off altogether.

Thanks for the replies.

Just a brief update...

Removed all the stereo again this evening and checked for any loose wires etc. Everything seems how it initially was and there has been no improvement so I guess I need to sort out the extra earth wire. Do you not have one either?

Look forward to hearing your findings!

Just a brief update...

Removed all the stereo again this evening and checked for any loose wires etc. Everything seems how it initially was and there has been no improvement so I guess I need to sort out the extra earth wire. Do you not have one either?

Look forward to hearing your findings!

Another update-

removed the stereo and connected on the extra earth wire with ring terminal, did not make any difference. If I scraped the terminal along pieces of metal I can hear the scraping sound through the speakers, not sure what this signifies? I tried 4 different places to earth to but none made any improvement whatsoever.

I then disconnected the aerial, expecting this to cut the power to the unit ( I had removed the ring terminal connector) and not only did it keep on running ok but the interference from the brake pedal was significantly reduced!

In the end I put it all back together the way it was. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on? All the wiring seems ok. I'm starting to wonder if the amp is the issue now, but I don't know how to access it or what I should be doing if I could!

I'm certain that this issue was not present when I installed the hu 6 weeks ago.

Any thoughts welcomed.

• 2 weeks later...

sounds alittle liek youve got some sort of ground loop going on , have you got an aftermarket amp runing the speakers ?

it could simply by the grounds for the headunit arent connected to the same point on the chasis so id give thata shot as first easy option.

Thanks for the reply.

No, it's the standard amp. All factory except the head unit.

Could you explain what you mean by the grounds on the head unit not being connected in the same place? I have grounded it in the way that all the guides suggest, iso loom ground connected to ict ground then an additional lead spliced in and earther to chassis (3different positions tried).

As I said previously, removing the aerial and disconnecting the additional earth lead reduced the sound I can hear the most.... Which I don't understand as I assumed no earth would lead to no power for the hu!

what i menat was make sure all the earth leads on the head unit are connected to the same part of the chasis but as you have them all connected togther thats not the issue.

you actually dont need the additional earth to make it work (i dont run one) if your not using the internal amp on your head unit.

it does sound liek some sort of bad earthing somewhere , might not even be your head units wires.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this thread up but I am getting this same issue after installing my head unit.

Followed all the guides on here and everything is working fine apart from this annoying static clicking noise when breaking.

Any ideas anyone? I have pulled it all out again today and double checked everything but can't find anything wrong?

Well I removed the noise myself by installing a Ground Loop Isolator from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/ground-loop-isolator-33172).

I know this doesn't really solve the problem as it is just covering it up but it is good enough for me as I don't get the clicking noise every time I hit the brake that was driving me insane!

Hope this helps someone else as I couldn't find much info on it anywhere else.